Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ks71
Level 7

Roku remote green LED won't light

I have a roku rc80 remote connected to a roku stick (SN 5s56A3024181) that stopped working this morning. I replaced the batteries with new ones and the remote did not work. I tried to pair but holding the button on the back for 3 seconds. However, the green light on the front does not turn on and the stick is stuck at the pairing step. 

I have tried the pairing process multiple times and to no avail. Is there a way to check if the remote is dead?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote green LED won't light

Not with a wifi remote, which doesn't give a signal you check with cellphone camera like an IR remote can be. There is a light in the battery compartment if it lights that's good indication is a live. Is the stick purple? If so there is no replacement remote for it anymore, sorry. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ks71
Level 7

Thanks for the prompt reply.

This Roku stick is is black in color (I can see a serial # but no model number) and approximately 2-3 years old.

The remote RC 80 (wifi remote) has an LED on the front face that does not light up after the pairing button is held for 3 seconds. It has a pairing button in the battery compartment but no LEDs that I can see. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

See if this article helps: https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-pair-roku-remote
Scroll down to the "How to Reset a Roku Remote" section.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Oneuser
Level 7

I have the same model of Roku stick and remote. Mine has exactly the same problem. I tried everything I could find on YouTube and online, nothing worked. You can download the Roku App and use the remote in the app but it's kinda annoying because you have to actually look at your phone to press the "buttons". I used the app for about 3 weeks and then decided to try again the whole pairing thing, in a video they mentions to press therestart button  in your stick. Do NOT do it ! I did and obviously after that I couldn't even use the remote on the app. So I had to order a chep fake remote online and hope it works before I get another Roku stick 

0 Kudos
ks71
Level 7

Thanks for the feedback. The app would not be a long-term solution. 

The non-IR  remotes (even the cheaper ones) that are compatible with the stick are currently have the price of the Roku stick on sale at Roku.com/Amazon.com etc. Unless, the Roku support staff are willing to provide a refurb or a new remote at a discounted price, I may buyer a newer stick or switch to a different brand. 

Thanks again, for sharing your experience. 

0 Kudos
ks71
Level 7

Thanks for the tip. The steps in the link you shared assume you have a working remote i.e. it's hardware is good but not able to pair. Either way, I tried the recommended steps a couple of times and the remote does not start the pairing process.

Thanks for looking into this. 

0 Kudos
ybarcewski
Level 7

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-pair-roku-remote 

Try that link.  My remote was not pairing with the TV even with using the pairing button inside of the remote. 

0 Kudos
Doug06
Level 7

I bought three stocks and remotes and installed on 3 TVs. and as of today 90 days after buying and installing all 3 remotes have failed. When I changed batteries as suggested the green light will not blink on reset.  I have tried all solutions suggested on internet and zero work.  I refuse to buy remotes 90 days after buying. Their product is flawed.  Too many issues with remotes.  Do not buy this product.   

LEF
Level 7

I have that problem, and none of the posted steps have helped. I have swapped multiple sets of batteries in & out, followed all of the reset steps to the letter, including power-cycling the Roku, using my phone to serve as a remote and going through the pair new remote steps, popping batteries in and out & holding down the pairing button.  In each case, nothing happens. When I hold down the pairing button, the light doesn't light up.

My Roku is a model 3600X (streaming stick) and the remote is the one that came with it, but I can't find a model number on the remote.

The Roku app on my phone works, I have another 3600X Roku whose remote works ok. Is it possible to use the same remote on different Rokus (not simultaneously, but preferably without pairing and re-pairing each time I switch).

0 Kudos