Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mezrein
Level 7

Roku remote failing after update

i have two roku 4s that have both started having remote issues after the latest update. they have freah batteries and after about 2 hours of watching shows they completely stop working until i reboot. the roku itself is still working and i can control it with my phone app, but not the remote itself. anyone else seeing this lately?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku remote failing after update

Please post your model number and the exact firmware version and build number (all via Settings > System > About).

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Mezrein
Level 7

apologizes, model 4400x - roku 4
firmware: 8.1.0 build 4131-17
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Thank you.  I'll try to get into contact with someone this weekend to look into the issue.  It'll probably be very late next week before I hear anything back, considering both the weekend and Fourth of July holiday (not sure who is and who is not in the office next week).

In the meantime, remove the batteries from the remote.  Unplug the Roku and your Modem/Router.  Wait 5 minutes.  Plug the Modem/Router back in, wait for your network to come back up (with internet access), and then plug in the Roku.  While the Roku is booting, plug the batteries back into the remote.  When it comes back up, try pairing again.  If that fails, let me know.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Mezrein
Level 7

will give it a shot. so far rebooting seems to take care of it, just odd how it seems to be happening so often now.
0 Kudos
Mezrein
Level 7

Well problem continues to happen. Did try repairing the way you suggested, worked for about 3 hours then stopped working again. Same thing with my other roku. 
0 Kudos
gloop05
Level 7

This happens to me too.  I have the 8.1 update on my new 2017 Roku Ultra and after a few hours of playtime the remote stops working.
0 Kudos
Mezrein
Level 7

So its the update that did it then
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

I'm also noticing an issue with the remote on my 2017 Roku Ultra, the remote itself has not stopped working however when I boot up the Roku the battery indicator that pops on the screen keeps changing. First it showed I had more power in my batteries than before the update and then it showed I had less power than before the update. So what the heck is going on? Why is it that every update causes an issue, didn't anyone bother to test all of this before releasing the update?
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

"Emissary35" wrote:
I'm also noticing an issue with the remote on my 2017 Roku Ultra, the remote itself has not stopped working however when I boot up the Roku the battery indicator that pops on the screen keeps changing. First it showed I had more power in my batteries than before the update and then it showed I had less power than before the update. So what the heck is going on? Why is it that every update causes an issue, didn't anyone bother to test all of this before releasing the update?

8.1 has caused multiple failures/bugs. I think the count is around 5 right now.
0 Kudos