Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demsd
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Is this a basic Roku remote or one of those voice remote pro's? If it's the latter, they do eat up batteries, especially when using the earphone jack. I have one and ended up getting rechargeable batteries and a charger for it. Batteries in a basic remote typically last a year or more for me.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
IainS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Please don’t confuse the matter. 

No, these are not voice remotes. 

The remote in my experience started to emit a high pitched noise - which is difficult to hear and sounds a bit like some old power transformers. It was a from the time the high pitched noise started that the remote started to really run down batteries. This makes sense - if the remote is making a noise (due to a fault) then it is obviously using more power.

0 Kudos
JBrit
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I contacted Roku about 6 months ago about the battery drain problem, and they indicated they would send a new one.  It took several months, but a new one did arrive, And I have not had a problem with it for about 3 weeks now.  I can't tell how long it will keep working.  I was NOT asked to return my old remote.

0 Kudos
RokiGod

Jump to solution

Yes Yes my remote is draining batteries too..... It's obviously a very common issue and everyone has well described the devices they use it with and which remotes they have and how they use them.

The thing that makes me more angry than anything else is the way that roku keeps telling people to PM them the same thing they just posted publicly.

PUT IN THE FORUM THE POSSIBLE REMOTE PROBLEMS, AND THEIR SOLUTIONS!!

if you need help finding a solution, contact me, I need the work.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @RokiGod

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing – that's not what we aim for.

Could you tell us the model of your Roku device associated with the affected remote? To check this, go to Settings > System > About.

If you have the Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810) model, we released an update to your remote that we believe will address the issue you are experiencing. Please perform a system restart from your Roku device. This will update your remote to the latest version. This can be done by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart. After you perform the system update, continue to use your device as normal and monitor the remote battery percentage listed under Settings > Remotes > About

Let us know if you notice any improvements in battery life and/or if the issue is persisting, reply here with the serial number of the device. It can also be located on the same page you found the model number.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Wcrockett

Jump to solution

I just bought one too I wish someone would have told me this Roku remote is no good.

0 Kudos
Psychodjuggalo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Do a hard reset on the remote itself then restart roku. Mine now lasts 5 times as long

0 Kudos
Wcrockett

Jump to solution

This is definitely a big issue I just bought the 4K voice remote and the one night and it will not last a day please can someone tell me what to do with this garbage

0 Kudos
mwyson
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When I leave home to travel I unplug my Roku tv. I found that this is when my remote batteries died. So it must be that when I unplug the tv the remote would use up the batteries trying to search for the Roku device. So when I unplug the tv I also remove the batteries. Kind of a pain but at least I have a work around.

0 Kudos
IceManFerrari
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can you please share with us how to do a hard-reset on the remote itself?

Thanks a lot!