Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi @THADDEUS1,

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing. I will do my best to assist you

Please perform a system restart from your Roku device. This will update your remote to the latest version. This can be done by navigating to Settings > System > System Restart. After you perform the system update, continue to use your device as normal and monitor the remote battery percentage listed under Settings > Remotes > About. Additionally, if you had moved your Roku device power source to a wall outlet to help address this problem, you may now reconnect the USB cable to your TV's USB port if preferred.

If you are still having any issues with your remote battery drain after following these steps, please provide the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.
Please let us know if you notice any improvements in battery life or if the issue is persisting.

Kind regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Roku needs to recall their TV Remotes due to draining of batteries.

Jump to solution

Roku needs to recall and replace free all their TV Remotes due to battery drainage immediately. This has been going on long enough. I am elderly and disabled and can't afford to keep buying and replacing these batteries every week. Its ridiculous!!!!  There must be hundreds of people posting this same problem all over the net and Roku has not yet addressed this issue! When Dish network was having a remote draining problem once, they quickly replaced the remotes free without issue. What's going on? Why is it taking Roku so long to address and fix this issue? I obvious to everyone these remotes are defective and need to be replaced. Buying a new one will not fix the issue. Come on Roku own up and Recall these Remotes.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku needs to recall their TV Remotes due to draining of batteries.

Jump to solution

Hey @solcaseypio

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Please be advised that remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We would recommend reaching out to their support team as they are the best ones to help you with your concern.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I already tried that but because my Tv is over a year old they will not do anything to help me. They said they were sorry. Wow that helped a lot I guess I wont be watching much tv.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You can purchase Roku tv remotes IR or Wifi from ebay for very cheap. IR go for under $10. Go with universal like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer remote, about $17 new at walmart or open box on ebay for about $10. 

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Works great on Roku tv's. 

When buying Roku tv remote off of ebay, look for the crescent moon key for sleep timer, only IR Roku tv's have it. If you want a wifi Roku tv remote make sure it has the microphone key, and that it says Roku tv remote on the front of the remote under the keys. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rokoo1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is my remote draining the batteries dry every week or less?

0 Kudos
IainS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a very common issue, it seems.

I had the same issue and I contacted support.  I was told to return my remote control (and Roku) and I would be sent a replacement Roku and remote.

I returned my item on 24th April.  I have still NOT received my replacement Roku.

So, be very careful about any advice that you get from the support team about returning your item.  The 'Support' teams and the 'Warehouse' teams do not appear to be in close contact and ultimately are not able to resolve anything.

If my replacement Roku is not received soon, I will just have to accept that Roku have stolen my returned item, and I will never buy anything from Roku again.

Good luck to anyone else that has this issue.  I wonder if anyone who returns their items ever receives a replacement.

Best regards,

Iain

rokoo1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, Iain.  The fact that Roku doesn't address the issue openly on this website, resorting instead to the secrecy of DM's,  indicates that they know the problem exists and know there is currently no fix.   I very much appreciate your taking the time to answer my question, Iain.  It's a shame that Roku chooses to ignore it.  

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate you for posting in Roku Community, @rokoo1.

If you are still having any battery drain issues with the issue, kindly provide the serial number of your Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing as well as the troubleshooting steps done to resolve the issue. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks for your patience regarding this issue.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
IainS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don’t mind the secrecy, I don’t mind the DMs, I don’t mind that they have a known fault and problem with their devices. What I do mind is being told to return an item and then Roku failing to send me a replacement.  That is criminal. 

iain

0 Kudos