Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greyman318
Streaming Star

Re: Roku remote constantly stops working, even with fresh batteries

Jump to solution

At least once usually 3-4 times a day all if the sudden the remote just stops working, sometimes moments after I last used it and having never left my hand. Sometimes a shake will make work, sometimes I have to take out the batteries and reinstall. I have had to re-pair it numerous times (twice today), I have checked the battery levels, changed batteries (which BTW, the on screen meter will say is low one minute then full the next), I have tried the extension hdmi cable and every other trick posted here and none have lasting permanent fixes. It is clearly defective and I refuse to "buy" a new remote. If it persists I will buy a different brand before throwing more money away on another defective Roku device.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@greyman318

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Milam98
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wouldn’t waste my time with sending you all the info about the device. I sent mine info months ago and they haven’t reached out or helped me at all.

Bd0530
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello! 

I am having the exact same issue with no resolve. The remote will randomly start working for days at a time and will then be unresponsive. I have unplugged the tv, removed batteries, replaced batteries, bought new remotes. It's unpredictable and become very frustrating. 

Im not tech savvy and I think I have the basic remote but I don't think it should be this difficult to watch tv. 

Please help! 

0 Kudos
Milam98
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Bd0530 I hate to tell you, but Roku doesn’t care. A lot of us have been dealing with this for a while. You’ll get the standard message from Danny or another, wanting your model#, serial #, etc., but nothing will change.

Download the Roku app and use the remote there. It works perfect, every time. The problem is the junkie remotes and because you have to hit the buttons so many times, it eats batteries.

Roku is **bleep**!! I’ll never buy another of their products!

Bd0530
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Milam98 smdh! I didn't even realize the app had a remote. Downloading now. Hopefully it works CONSISTENTLY. Thanks so much for your help! 

greyman318
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The app remote certainly works, but I find it annoying to use. You literally have to keep the app open all the time, this doesn't work if you use your phone or tablet for other things. If you just want to go back ten seconds because you missed a line it will end up taking 2-3 minutes to do it. If you have an older remote it can be paired to a newer device or you can use an old phone that is dedicated for use as a remote.

mdumey

Jump to solution

Mine won't even turn on in spite of following ALL the directions.

Is this a piece of junk?

0 Kudos
greyman318
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So let's recap:

1. I buy a new stick+ specifically for the shortcut buttons on it. 

2. I, like so many others have a defective remote, and come here to post about it.

3. I get sent a hdmi extension that does nothing. 

4. Roku finally decides to send me a new remote.

5. A month later and dozens of these emails that say:

"It’s been a while since we've heard from you, so this automated message is here to remind you that we're looking forward to your response on the ticket you requested. If we don’t hear back from you in 3 days, well assume it’s safe to mark the ticket as resolved"

I finally get a new remote and it has different buttons on it. 

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Has anyone found a fix for this? On my second remote. 

is there a way to assign an IP address for the remote? 

0 Kudos