Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote constantly stops working, even with fresh batteries

Jump to solution

@Remotenotworkin

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrBurgundy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just bought a brand new Roku Ultra. Got rid of the old one because of a persistent Vudu bug. This one is not affected by that bug, but it has a bad remote. It randomly stops working. I’ll be using it one second, and the next second it doesn’t work. I’ve changed batteries, restarted the Roku, restarted the remote, re-paired the remote, everything. It keeps happening. Why does it happen? Is it a wifi thing? Is it a faulty remote? I just don’t understand. I totally regret buying this ultra already. The remote doesn’t even work. That’s as pathetic as it gets.

JCollell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can't believe how long this thread had been running and still there is no resolution. When I first bought my Roku the remote worked perfectly fine. Every now and then it would get a little glitchy but for the most part it worked. It is a Wifi remote so there should be not issue with IR signal not reaching Roku Stick. This all started after a series of updates. First apps would load real slow. And I mean real slow. And then the remote would stop working. I would pair it over and over. I would change the batteries even though the batteries were recently changed. One person theorized that the remote would not wake up out of sleep mode even though you were pushing the buttons. That to me seems like a firmware update issue and I have no idea why Roku is just sitting on this. For over a year we have been using the phone app to control the device which sucks because it is clunky and not as full featured as the physical remote. And you have to either leave it on or lock the screen. I haven't even bothered buying another remote because I know I am going to run into the same issue. I just can't get over how Roku can let a global issue like this fester. And no I am not sending you my model and serial number. It is obvious this is not an outlier. So fix the problem already. The only saving grace is that the phone app is fairly reliable albeit clunky and not nearly as ergonomic as the remote.

RH56

Jump to solution

I have three Roku sticks with remotes.  I think they're "point-anywhere," but two don't look like any of the three pictured in your help sections.  One has the voice button, but the other two don't have a middle button between the back circular arrow and the options button.  Lately, the remote for the Roku device I use most often (non-voice) stops working about every two days.  It's easily fixed by removing the batteries, unplugging the Roku stick, then re-inserting the batteries.  Also, I constant see a remote icon in the upper right corner of the TV screen, even when not using the remote.  I've checked and my software was just updated yesterday.

Not sure where to find serial numbers, but my email is [personal information].

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @RH56

Thanks for the post.

For us to further help you out, please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be located at the back or underneath the player itself.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
LaineeSews
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is what helped me when I was having trouble with my voice remote not working. I replaced the batteries which weren’t very old. Then after a week, the remote stopped working again with the new batteries. I got it to work again with a system restart. Yay! No new remote needed! (I also checked for software updates first. Seems like I did a system restart after an update before.)

****This time everything on the remote works except the volume +/-  & mute. Ugh!

****Went to remote settings & it showed I had 2 remotes connected to the tv. So deleted the not in use one & clicked on “in use” remote and went through the sound check steps that popped up. “Do you hear the music playing?” “Has the music stopped?”

Finally !!!

0 Kudos
Marksj1

Re: Remote not working intermittently, not a pairing issue

Jump to solution

If you have a Roku stick being powered by the USB from the tv, try plugging the power into a wall outlet instead of USB.  Also, I had an electrical fan near the tv, so moved it away.  Those 2 things made mine work again

Tonig59

Re: How to fix Roku remote that constantly stops working (even with fresh batteries)

Jump to solution

What's a PM and here's the SKU#3810R .

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku remote that constantly stops working (even with fresh batteries)

Jump to solution

@Tonig59

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having same trouble with simple voice remote.  It just stopped working, even with new batteries....won't turn on tv, and if I turn on manually, will not scroll to anything. Serial # CT38DD918399.  Had my TV powered on for about 5 minutes when I pulled the stick to get SN and stick is warm to touch (VERY warm, but not "hot")  if that makes a difference.  Seems like I just replaced this one, too....within the last year or two??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos