Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abigailkahrs
Reel Rookie

How to fix an unresponsive Roku remote (won't scroll, select channels, or turn device on/off)

Jump to solution

I have the roku streaming stick and my remote won’t allow me to turn it on or scroll between channel options. I also tried using the roku remote app and even on there it will not allow me to choose a channel or turn the stick on/off

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jenny2
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix an unresponsive Roku remote (won't scroll, select channels, or turn device on/off)

Jump to solution

My problem turned out to be that it was getting confused with the Roku device in the other room. I unplugged the _other_ Roku, then did the reboot with the one I was trying to fix and it paired fine. I think I had to do it another time, but mostly it’s fine. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to fix an unresponsive Roku remote (won't scroll, select channels, or turn device on/off)

Jump to solution

Have you tried restarting the device?
Settings > System > System restart
(Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

These things are just little special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes you just need to clear things out by restarting them.

If a restart doesn't do it, try pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Abigailkahrs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unfortunately my remote or app won’t allow me to click on settings or anything, really. I tried unplugging for a few minutes and still the same just as well as holding down the reset button on the remote for about 5 seconds and still nothing, unfortunately.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote and app not changing channel

Jump to solution

@Abigailkahrs 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide clarification regarding the issue you are experiencing?

Roku streaming sticks do not have a power option, Roku devices are meant to always be in standby mode. Can you clarify what you mean when trying to turn the stick on/off?

When you say you are changing the channel, are you trying to change the channel on the Roku Home screen or are you trying to change the channel of the TV/cable box?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Abigailkahrs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am trying the channel on the roku home screen. Also there’s a button on the streaming stick which I assumed was either a power button or a reset button and even pressing that isn’t helping. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The red power button at the top of the remote is a tv power key, if your remote were set up for your tv brand it would power it on. The roku has no power button or command of its own. The button in the battery compartment is not reset button for the remote its a pairing key to pair the remote with your roku, if it can take wifi remotes. By your last post you have a stick, it only takes wifi remotes. 

First have the remote ready to pair, with battery door off, one fresh battery installed, put the remote aside for a minute, unplug the roku stick from the power for a bit, plug back in, after the roku stops bouncing put the battery in and press and hold the pairing key for three seconds and release let the remote communicate with roku. The light will go out on the remote thats okey don't press anything you until you get confirmation its paired. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bregraham

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streaming stick with a remote that has the voice button and can turn the sound up and down, my remote will turn the tv on and off and change the volume but won’t change the apps. The other buttons don’t work either. I have changed the batteries, unplugged the roku multiple times and reset my internet and it is still not working. I haven’t had this streaming stick and remote for very long 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bregraham 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AyeYoLi

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

@Bregraham 

What was the fix i am having same issue. Volume works, power button works, but can not change the apps.. no other button works on the remote. Fresh batteries have been installed did the unplug thing 20 different times pairing light is still blinking. 

Could you tell us if it was fixed and or what was done??  

Jenny2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My problem turned out to be that it was getting confused with the Roku device in the other room. I unplugged the _other_ Roku, then did the reboot with the one I was trying to fix and it paired fine. I think I had to do it another time, but mostly it’s fine.