Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku “not connected”, remote not working

Hello!

I've run into this same issue today:  Roku will not connect to WiFi (even though other devices connect successfully) and the Roku remote will work for a couple of clicks and then cease to function.

I've tried a hard reset of the Roku Stick, have taken batteries out of the remote and re-paired (with fresh batteries), rebooted my WiFi...

I even tried the unplug and re-plug found here:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-not-connecting-to-Internet-or-...

But no remedies have worked.

@RokuDanny-R :  are you able to assist?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@alankimhowe

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Czestnut

Hi,
I received a new Roku® Streaming Stick™️+ as a gift (in/from Canada), replacing my current Roku 2 (US model) I have been enjoying for years, but now have a better TV and my old Roku had limited content since it was from the US and got in for Xmas at my brother's in North Carolina.

I've been having this same problem discussed in this thread with my new Streaming Stick+.  Right out of the box, my remote if flashing green but isn't pairing.  I reset the stick, I reset the remote, tried from a youtube video to hold the home, back and reset button for a while, adding new batteries.  My old Roku 2 is unplugged so there's no interference.  It doesn't go further than the "pair the remote screen" that overlays the language selection.  I reset and hold the remote within inches of the stick and that didn't help either.  Kindly help my remote pair so I could continue please.  Thanks!

13-Dec-2012 : Roku 2
10-Apr-2021 : Streaming Stick+
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Czestnut

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to your PM and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emmasalsa

i am having the same problem.  I have 3 roku and this one I bought in January.  Worked fine until last week and so i moved it to another tv and tried all the suggestions above.  The remote now does not work, on the tv screen it says not connected.  On my Roku account it was showing up but I can not select it or link to it.  I tried using my phone as the remote but this roku will not show up as a possible choice.  Very frustrated as this is only a couple months old and I splurged and bought the voice activated one that never really worked.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@emmasalsa, the "not connected" message means it's not connected to your network.  It has nothing to do with the remote.  You can't use your phone until it's connected.  What's the model number of your Roku?  Does your remote have a button inside the battery compartment?  Have you tried new batteries?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HeatUpTheDthRay
Reel Rookie

I am having this same issue, beginning today. I hadn't unplugged anything or changed anything before I started getting the "Not Connected" text in the top right corner of the home screen. I tried re-starting my wi-fi. No dice. I tried re-pairing my remote. The pairing light just flashed and flashed and nothing happened. Please help!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@HeatUpTheDthRay wrote:

I am having this same issue, beginning today. I hadn't unplugged anything or changed anything before I started getting the "Not Connected" text in the top right corner of the home screen.

That message is related to your network connection, not the remote.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HeatUpTheDthRay
Reel Rookie

Is there a troubleshooting guide or a fix for this issue then? I've re-started my router and everything else on this network is working properly, so I'm not sure why the Roku would be having a problem with the wifi connection.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is relevant, but about a month ago my Roku remote stopped being able to turn on the TV. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I can still turn on the TV with the TV remote, but now I'm wondering if the two issues are related.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

hello! 

i am also experiencing this same problem on both of my Roku devices. the screen displays the “not connected” message and my remote is stuck in an endless loop of trying to pair. i have tried all of the “fixes” -taking batteries out and unplugging the devices, restarting my router, etc.- but nothing seems to work. please help! @RokuDanny-R 

thank you! 
~ sarah 

0 Kudos