Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnnabramlett
Level 7

Roku not connected and my remote won’t work

I have the roku streaming stick and all of the sudden my roku says not connected. When I tried to go thru the steps of reconnecting it my remote won’t work either. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting but nothing seems to be working. 

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku not connected and my remote won’t work

Which model of Stick do you have? If it's the purple Stick (3500), replacement remotes are no longer available. Sometimes they can be found on eBay, but proceed with caution because the seller may not be describing the remote accurately. If they say it works on all Roku Sticks, they are wrong, as the 3500 remote does not work on newer models, and vice versa. It also might cost as much or more than a new Roku for an old, used remote.

And if you do have the purple Stick, note that it's now 7 years old, and many of the newest channels won't work on it. So unless you have a much newer Stick, it might just be time to replace it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
danzam40
Level 7

I’m having the same issue with my Roku Streaming Stick+  It’s model 3810X.  I tried creating a new topic but it only allows me to enter a topic and search for similar topics that already exist.  If someone from tech support could contact me I would appreciate it. I’m extremely frustrated at this point.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Quickly, from the top of the community page (https://community.roku.com/) be logged in and scroll down to Latest Support Topics. On the far right (not the sidebar, but far right of the section header) is a button "Post A Topic" that can be used to post a brand new topic.

However, you did choose a topic that does describe yours, and is actually okay. No need in this case, but you do have reference if a future issue arises.

Now, on to your issue. I have that very device: Roku 3810 Streaming Stick+

Mine is running 9.4.0 build 4210-50

You can check yours Settings > System > About

Are you powering through the included power supply? Or are  you using the TV's USB port? If the USB port, try the power supply.

Does a power restart (unplugging power, waiting several seconds, reconnecting power) resolve the issue. TV power via USB wouldn't count, as we're trying to rule out TV USB, so remove that entirely from the mix by using the power supply.

If not, after the Roku powers up from the power recycle, does pressing the pairing button underneath the battery door do anything? Any light after holding it down for 3-5 seconds?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
danzam40
Level 7

I’ve tried switching the power supply from tv to USB outlet and I get the same results. I’ve reset the Roku and Internet router multiple times and I keep getting the same results.

The Roku will load to the main menu screen.  At the top of the screen it says “not connected”.  I can’t go into any options or settings because the remote won’t work either.  I’ve tried removing the batteries and repairing the remote multiple times but I just keep getting the green blinking light.  The batteries are fine because the remote will still work for changing the volume on the tv and powering the tv on and off but not for anything else.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

I should have thought that if the remote won't work, you can't check anything via the menu. Silly me. Sorry about that.

It is indeed acting as if the remote or Roku Stick+ is problematic. Even though the remote is controlling the TV, that doesn't rule out the remote. The TV controls are IR, and were programmed by you during initial setup. If the wireless connection part of the remote has gone bad, it could still control the TV. The Roku isn't part of TV control, after the remote is programmed for the TV.

And, it could be the Stick+ itself. Depending on how old the device is (it came with a 1-year warranty) you may be able to get it replaced, if troubleshooting steps don't work.

You can find replacement remotes at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. They're $20, and called the Voice Remote. If you picked one up, and it paired, then your remote was bad. If you get one and it doesn't pair, the Stick+ is probably bad.

One other thing: Do you know what channel your network is broadcasting on? One user with an issue recently was using Channel 8. Standard on a 2.4 GHz network would be 1, 6, or 11, although any from 1-11 are valid. If the channel is crowded, that could interfere with things. And, yes, that could make a difference, even if you're not connected.

If you're utilizing a 5 GHz network only, it would be different channels, naturally, but the same concept applies. Others are much better at network troubleshooting, and I defer to them.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
danzam40
Level 7

Haven’t had any issues connecting any of my other devices to the Internet.  I live alone and my WiFi is password protected so it’s never overloaded with traffic.  And my Roku stick has never had any issues until about 2 days ago when this came up.  Sounds like I have to give up and just replace it.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

A crowded channel doesn’t mean on your network. It means anywhere close enough regardless of network. So don’t rule that out just yet. 

DBDukes

0 Kudos
danzam40
Level 7

I tried bringing my parents Roku stick over to my house and that one is giving me the same problems too.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

That points to network.

Settings > Network > About

What channel are you using? I'm continuing to ask because it doesn't matter if nothing else is on your network. If anything is nearby on that channel, whether it's on your network or not, can contribute to crowding your network.

DBDukes

0 Kudos