Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goatboi

Roku express remote: software update ruined remote

Jump to solution

My mom got a new roku express the other day and it was my job to set it up, the previous roku we had was working fine but the remote stopped working out of nowhere so we figured it was just old so we got a new one. 

I began setting it up and the remote was working just fine but as soon as it downloaded the software updates the remote now won't work at all. None of the troubleshooting works, brand new batteries brand new remote, the whole 9 yards. Nothing. Only the phone remote works now. It's the software update and nothing else on rokus site and nobody on rokus social media will listen to me but it's the stupid software update. Please fix your stuff roku.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Goatboi

Re: Roku express remote: software update ruined remote

Jump to solution

@Goatboi wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

You had two Roku systems in the same place work then stop working. This say there could be something environmental in the area. Do you have a IR repeater system in place so you can control the devices from a second room? These can bombard devices with IR junk signals prevent them from receiving proper IR signals. Certain lights give off IR interference. Baby monitors do too. 

It's not environmental, because 1, I grew up with IR tech so I'm not stupid and 2. I haven't changed anything in that room in 2 years and suddenly a new update comes out and two devices that were working before the update was installed now don't work after installing the update. It's a software patch that needs to be done. I don't have anything else in my home that runs on anything IR 

Guess what, I got the newest software patch and now it's working. Told you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Is the roku express buried behind the tv? The express comes with IR remote which needs line of sight from the remote to the front of the roku. Check remote by pointing it at your cellphone camera and pressinging a key if you see flashes its working. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Goatboi

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Is the roku express buried behind the tv? The express comes with IR remote which needs line of sight from the remote to the front of the roku. Check remote by pointing it at your cellphone camera and pressinging a key if you see flashes its working. 

It's in plain sight, as I said I tried everything on the troubleshooting section, that's included in it. And it's a brand new remote it should be working

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You had two Roku systems in the same place work then stop working. This say there could be something environmental in the area. Do you have a IR repeater system in place so you can control the devices from a second room? These can bombard devices with IR junk signals prevent them from receiving proper IR signals. Certain lights give off IR interference. Baby monitors do too. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Goatboi

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

It's not environmental, because 1, I grew up with IR tech so I'm not stupid and 2. I haven't changed anything in that room in 2 years and suddenly a new update comes out and two devices that were working before the update was installed now don't work after installing the update. It's a software patch that needs to be done. I don't have anything else in my home that runs on anything IR 

0 Kudos
Goatboi

Jump to solution

@Goatboi wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Guess what, I got the newest software patch and now it's working. Told you.

0 Kudos
stf718

Jump to solution

My Roku remote stopped working and it is a Roku express I just got. The remote stopped working during the setup. could not get it to pair. what is the problem 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@stf718

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried replacing the batteries in your remote already?

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Fix your remote

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos