Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cptdondo
Level 7

Roku Volume Control

I'm setting up Roku as a streaming video player for a travel van. I have everything figured out except for the sound. The Roku depends on the TV to control the sound volume. Since my "TV" is a dumb monitor, I use a separate set of speakers and a small amp. In my previous setup, the volume was controlled by the computer's PCM mixer. There is no PCM mixer in the Roku; AFAICT it just puts out the max volume all the time.

I'm looking for ideas on how to add volume control to the Roku without a clutter of remotes....

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Roku Volume Control

The obvious solution would be an amp with a volume control.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
cptdondo
Level 7

Hehe. Too obvious. Smiley Very Happy

6 out of the 7 seats would be out of reach of the volume control knob.... Not undoable but I'd prefer a remote control solution.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Can you get a speakers that have a volume control on a wired remote? I dunno.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lancescape
Level 7

Turning a manual volume knob does sound easier than your previous solution of adjusting the mixer on your computer. Otherwise, a cheap PC speaker system with wired volume remote? A cheap stereo receiver?
0 Kudos
cwniles
Level 7

The Roku is not capable of any sort of amplification so a volume control would be irrelevant. It's like your DVD player having a volume control, it wouldn't control anything....line level is line level. (I don't know that line level applies to digital outputs, but I assume the theory is similar.)

Whatever is providing the amplification is what provides the volume adjustment so you either need to run the Roku to an A/V receiver/amp with a remote or, as others have suggested (and as I did until recently), run them to a nice set of powered speakers that have a remote control.....as far as I know.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
0 Kudos
corey340
Level 7

Line outputs can be used to control volume unfortunately, the DAC in the Roku doesn't have a variable output. Hopefully, a future Roku model will (... not so subtle suggestion). The slight increase in cost would be worth it. I had to move my Roku to a different TV to keep it from overloading the input.
0 Kudos
negutron
Level 7

I guess Roku never considered that people would 'cut the cord on their cable' by utilizing both netflix and amazon.com VOD marketplace for almost 100% coverage of anything one would actually want to see. I guess they never saw that coming in a million years.

More to the point, I suppose Roku, even with their third version of the box never considered that people would be using LCD monitors with roku for video in lieu of the (according to technically-proficient prosumers or 'geeks': now deprecated) television set, and relegating the audio to the speakers of their computer with a switch for the signal, basically forcing them to manually adjust the volume control on the roku. So the choice if one has an older tv set, is to suffer with non-hd streaming and volume control, or HD streaming to an hd lcd with manual volume control, for those people who don't want to needlessly waste money on buying an LCD / plasma / LED TV and spending a fortune on it just to play roku/blu-ray, etc at one of several outlet stores that cannot honor their extended warranties because they are now out of business (circuit city, ultimate electronics... probably several others)...

Also, I suppose Roku never imagined this feature would be needed, since 4/4 roku owner friends of mine said it was an obvious omitted feature that would be extremely useful, in addition to a mixer / volume-level for annoying hollywood movies that think the only way to make a movie scary is to have peaks of noise amid troughs of shallow breathing, making it really annoying to watch a horror genre at night in an apartment complex AND trying to be considerate to neighbors.

So! as much as I like the Roku, I think the company just never saw these things coming. It's too bad they are reading these forums all the time and using the feedback like this to improve their subsequent units that they can sell to their already avid user base.
0 Kudos
mommom
Level 7

I don't get the big problem.If you use Roku with a monitor that does nor have built in speakers,you need external speakers.So get speakers or amp with volume control.
Am I missing something? I have never tried Roku with a monitor,but wouldnt my monitors speakers work ok?
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

he's saying that those speakers can't be controlled via a remote so he has to adjust them with a knob.
0 Kudos