Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thecube
Reel Rookie

Roku Voice Remote not working from a distance

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 3. The original remote can control the TV from any room in the house. The up volume button is broken though, so I purchased the Roku Voice remote ($20 version). It paired easily but it only works within a 15ft distance and has to be pointed directly at the device.

According to the troubleshoot guide, if your remote has a pairing button it isn't an IR remote and should work from anywhere.. Is this correct? And if so, what could the problem be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Voice Remote not working from a distance

Jump to solution

Roku sells the Gaming remote for $29.99, its fourth one done on this page:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No, that is not correct when it comes to controlling the tv. The voice remote communicates with Roku by wifi, but only controls the tv by IR, you have to have a line of sight between the remote and tv. Your original roku 3 remote didn't have tv IR on board, it controlled the tv by hdmi-cec. It was wifi signal from the remote to the roku, then it was cec signal over the hdmi cable from roku to  the tv it was connected to. The voice remote only controls Roku tv's volume via wifi, no other tv's. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

It has been a while since I retired my Roku 3 (4200), so my memory may be faulty, but I don't recall the gaming remote that came with it controlling the tv volume at all.  I only remember the remote volume rocker switch controlling the volume for the remote-listening headset when plugged into the jack on the remote.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

After an upgrade the cec was turned on for certain brands of tv, it sure didn't work on the Panasonic I had at the time. 😞 More people posted on the forum it didn't work then did. Its been updated since to where even older models like the roku 2 xd respond to roku cec power, volume, and  mute commands. The 3500 purple stick when paired with a Roku 3 remote responds to the volume commands. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Thecube
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

No, that is not correct when it comes to controlling the tv. The voice remote communicates with Roku by wifi, but only controls the tv by IR, you have to have a line of sight between the remote and tv. Your original roku 3 remote didn't have tv IR on board, it controlled the tv by hdmi-cec. It was wifi signal from the remote to the roku, then it was cec signal over the hdmi cable from roku to  the tv it was connected to. The voice remote only controls Roku tv's volume via wifi, no other tv's. 

Thanks for the responses! 

Do you know if there is a replacement remote available that would work like the original? Or something to look for in a universal remote that would enable it to work like that? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Edmund

Thecube
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Update: Ordered the Gaming remote and everything works perfectly, thanks for your help!

0 Kudos