Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Roku Utra Remote Blank Shortcuts?

Ads do nothing to keep Consumer costs down.
You can believe that myth if you want to, but don't expect your average traveler to sip that special Kool-Aid.

Rokus have a Price Point at which Consumers will buy them - in staggering numbers.
Ads are extra profit for Roku - we expect no less as it's reasonable for a company to want to make money.

I have to use Roku 'cause Plex can't develop an app for anything else.

I would buy a generic remote, if given the option, at the checkout - as would A LOT of others.

You do a lot of poo-poo-ing posts that just rub you the wrong way and where you go there seems to be several Usual Suspects that show up amplifying the poo-poo-ing. <--A casual observation that I'll bet is casually observed by a whole lot of folks.

So, if your advice is to ignore something annoying and just get on with life, allow me to suggest you do the same when an irritating post pops up. It takes all kinds to build a diverse Roku User Group. Some of those users may hold views and have opinions that simply doesn't require your input.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"DubTaylor" wrote:
You can believe that myth if you want to, but don't expect your average traveler to sip that special Kool-Aid.

Rokus have a Price Point at which Consumers will buy them - in staggering numbers.
Ads are extra profit for Roku - we expect no less as it's reasonable for a company to want to make money.

I would buy a generic remote, if given the option, at the checkout - as would A LOT of others.

You do a lot of poo-poo-ing posts that just rub you the wrong way and where you go there seems to be several Usual Suspects that show up amplifying the poo-poo-ing. <--A casual observation that I'll bet is casually observed by a whole lot of folks.

So, if your advice is to ignore something annoying and just get on with life, allow me to suggest you do the same when an irritating post pops up. It takes all kinds to build a diverse Roku User Group. Some of those users may hold views and have opinions that simply doesn't require your input.

Considering Roku doesn't profit on their hardware, it's pretty much their ONLY revenue stream.  You don't have to drink any Kool Aid to learn that.  
I also think you are overestimating "lots".  
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/r ... 202804874/

61.5M from the sale of pucks and sticks in the first quarter of THIS year seems like some profit to me...
A bit more than that on Ad Dollars - beyond the hardware sales...

Too much sugar in most Kool-Aids (to offset the almond/bitterness of cyanide) - so I steer clear.

Smiley Happy

Anywho... it appears Roku is doing "OK" (but do please keep those prayers/cards/letters - stuffed with cash - coming), so I wouldn't be upset if given an option, or opportunity to avoid some advertising.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"DubTaylor" wrote:
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/roku-q1-2018-earnings-1202804874/

61.5M from the sale of pucks and sticks in the first quarter of THIS year seems like some profit to me...
A bit more than that on Ad Dollars - beyond the hardware sales...

Too much sugar in most Kool-Aids (to offset the almond/bitterness of cyanide) - so I steer clear.

Smiley Happy

Revenue <> Profit.  
Smiley Happy

Here's a chart from last year with their player profits, which are getting smaller and smaller per device, especially while they continue to sell the junk $30 players.
https://www.recode.net/2017/9/1/1624445 ... g-hardware
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

"DubTaylor" wrote:

I guess you have to stop using Plex , because they paid to have a button on some remotes too.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

It's actually possible I might use that one - if it's on a Roku Remote.

Plex has a problem though. They have a great media server, but can't develop an app for anything but Roku. They keep trying... so far it's not been working out too well for them. I just got another upgrade for the Plex app for my AFTV - in 5 minutes it had locked up so hard I had to force stop the app and reboot the AFTV to get it operational again. That's been going on for 5 years, so I can't really say I'm surprised at this point. I mean it's not like it used to work and now doesn't... it's never worked.
0 Kudos