Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku Utra Remote Blank Shortcuts?

"Emissary35" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
I hate it when a company tries to make money and stay in business.

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

So I guess if they've been on every remote for every Roku you've ever had then they should be on every remote for every Roku ever made in the future too? Great reasoning. It's not about ignoring the buttons if you don't use them, it's the fact that these buttons could be customizable and much more useful instead of being ignored for not liking them. And Roku makes plenty of money selling units without having to resort to auctioning off it's function buttons to the highest bidders.

They actually don't make money off the units. Their primary revenue is advertising. You know, like putting paid for buttons on the remote. The ads on the home screen... Who sits there staring at the home screen all day? Far less invasive than other platforms.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

The original Roku 3 (4200X) also had no channel shortcut buttons as I recall. I must've bought dozens in the couple of years that they were on the market. Many of the boxes retired, but the remotes are probably lying around...
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 8

Firstly, they were not on all Rokus in the past. In the UK they were not on the R1, they were not on the Roku Stick (purple one), and I don't believe they were on any of that previous generation. Suddenly they are present on the new Roku Stick+ and I guess on the Express too (in the UK there was a jump as they never brought out a generation in between over here). It's just crazy that none of the main channels are on the buttons and instead we get buttons for a load of cobblers. And Netflix (the one useful button).

Look, it's simple. Mark the buttons as A,B,C,D or 1,2,3,4. Then in the settings have a channel selector to choose which channel each launches. Need those advertising £££s? Then default them to the companies that pay. A different company pays the next year? Great, change the default in your next software update to the latest paying companies - extra wonga for Roku! It is no advantage to fix them to the channels that pay, because if a customer likes the channel (so the advertising worked) then they will keep the default. If they don't like the channel (or it drops off Roku at some point) then forcing them to keep the useless default on the quick button just annoys the customer. Do these paying companies really want to annoy potential customers? Honestly, if I didn't already have an account with a company with a button I would be less tempted to choose one of them in future due to their annoying advertising techniques. I think everyone would benefit if they just made the buttons configurable and sold defaults to channels rather than a fixed, branded annoyance for every Roku customer constantly reminding them why they don't like the companies concerned. No wonder thay can't sell the things to the big players in the UK. The big players like to keep customers on side, that's how they get to be the big players.

Positivies for my plan:
1 - More money for Roku as they can sell regular 'subscriptions' to each button rather than permanent buttons for one-off payments.
2 - Paying companies get to advertise, provide convienience to their customers and don't alienate potential future customers.
3 - Customers get four USEFUL buttons that they can set to the channels they use, and might just see a default they want to subscribe to and keep as they will not see them as the invasive advertisers they currently appear to be which we all know are universally hated.

Negatives for my plan:
1 - No logo on the buttons, but that only works on unboxing as once you've seen the logo, you've seen it. Could be mitigated by a logo on the box the Roku comes in for each of the four defaults. Also, it's an advantage because ever present logos either cause irritation at worst or at best cause logo 'blindness'. Either way, it is anti-advertising and risks damage to a brand image. OK, so not a great negative but there's not much available.
2 - Struggling to find anymore...
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"AndyCalling" wrote:
Negatives for my plan:
1 - No logo on the buttons, but that only works on unboxing as once you've seen the logo, you've seen it. Could be mitigated by a logo on the box the Roku comes in for each of the four defaults. Also, it's an advantage because ever present logos either cause irritation at worst or at best cause logo 'blindness'. Either way, it is anti-advertising and risks damage to a brand image. OK, so not a great negative but there's not much available.

You forgot 3 - Companies advertising on the remote want you to see their logo on the remote - THAT'S what they're paying for. Roku makes FAR less money under your plan, because you're misunderstanding why the buttons have logos. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

^ This!
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"AndyCalling" wrote:
Negatives for my plan:

You forgot 3 - Companies advertising on the remote want you to see their logo on the remote - THAT'S what they're paying for. Roku makes FAR less money under your plan, because you're misunderstanding why the buttons have logos. 

SONY, on their remote, has -one- button that can be "purchased" by a company. On my Sony Blu-ray player remote it's Netflix that paid for the button. But that Netflix button has never been accidentally pushed.... So on my Roku remote,  I removed the four ad buttons, and, the voice activation button, which I cut the top off, and put back. It's below the surface, and I can;t accidentally activate it now.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"twiceover" wrote:

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

Their location ensures errant/accidental presses. You either have God-Like dexterity or are EXTREMELY lucky.

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

So I guess if they've been on every remote for every Roku you've ever had then they should be on every remote for every Roku ever made in the future too? Great reasoning. It's not about ignoring the buttons if you don't use them, it's the fact that these buttons could be customizable and much more useful instead of being ignored for not liking them. And Roku makes plenty of money selling units without having to resort to auctioning off it's function buttons to the highest bidders.

Are you willing to pay an extra $5 or $10 per new Roku to offset the costs of not having these advertising buttons?

Yes, Yes I am. I'd buy Roku 'Lite' Brainwash-Free Roku Remotes - so the ones I have that required surgery can be retired in favor of their 'bland' generic counterparts.

I can't comprehend why people are mad that a company wants to make money, especially in a non-obtrusive way like this. Roku isn't a charity.

Many can't comprehend why you and the attack-squad feel it's your duty to attack anyone with a view different than yours - and it's my view those buttons are anything but 'non-obtrusive' on a device that is seen/used as often as a Roku Remote that Roku Inc. AND those Advertisers KNOW they are. This part, at least, isn't Rocket Science. Yes, that is Prime, Ad-Dollar Real Estate many Roku Users would like to see un-populated by Billboards that CAN NOT be avoided (without surgery, of course). If Roku wants to make even more money (from their millions of users) - offer up generic remotes. They'll sell like hotcakes and soon could surpass even the most well-heeled Smiling Corporate Ad-Executive (pockets bulging with a never-ending source of CASH).

IF Generic Remotes are available then the problem may be one of Poor Advertising (there's a twist) , 'cause I don't know about them. If Users are given a choice, then we can feel pretty good about the fact that they'll make one. IF a User saw a Generic Remote was available (even for an extra cost), they'd buy one at the intitial purchase. I know I would. The Community Liaison can walk that idea down the hall. I'm certain it'll represent a few million $$$ for Roku Inc and we'll ALL feel a LOT less panic-stricken thinking Roku Inc. might not be making enough money. <--- Yea, that is fairly hilarious actually. Selling a $5 Chinese Hockey Puck for $100s to the tune of Billions of Units is like having a license to print money, but for the sake of argument... let's feel bad for Roku and worry about their profit margin. I'm willing to help.

lol
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Their location ensures errant/accidental presses. You either have God-Like dexterity or are EXTREMELY lucky.

Not really.  My thumb sits on the "OK" button and my hand wraps around the right side my pointer finger sits in the little slot on the bottom.  At no point in time is my hand even in contact with the bottom 4 buttons.  Just for giggles I picked up the one on my desk 10 times just to see if maybe I'm "holding it wrong".  Not a single time was my hand touching the buttons.
Should they offer a remote with no buttons, sure, if there's a market for it.  But again, we are talking about maybe 0.3% of the user base that actually cares.  That's not enough to worry about.  I honestly wish they'd make a premium remote with a slider keyboard on it.  I'd buy that.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

My hands are like VA Hams. I can't touch that remote (pre-surgery) without hitting one.

3% of a Billion is 30 Million X some arbitrary multiple of additional income generated by 'The Annoyed Enough To Throw Money At The Problem'.

If Roku is rich enough to turn their nose up at 30 Million (+/-) - then we can pretty much stop worrying they may go bankrupt and continue crabbing about what amounts to useless buttons that can't be avoided, are eyesores and really, really annoying (to some). Again, if Users had a choice and opportunity we might find out just how many are willing to augment that Roku Purchase with a Plain-Jane Remote. An extra Roku Remote isn't a bad thing to have laying around anyway - given the failure/loss/fatal accident rates.

Lord knows there are enough 'The Dog Ate My Remote' posters who found out that Roku Mobile App isn't a replacement for a slobbery Remote.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

Are you willing to pay an extra $5 or $10 per new Roku to offset the costs of not having these advertising buttons?

Yes, Yes I am. I'd buy Roku 'Lite' Brainwash-Free Roku Remotes - so the ones I have that required surgery can be retired in favor of their 'bland' generic counterparts.

I can't comprehend why people are mad that a company wants to make money, especially in a non-obtrusive way like this. Roku isn't a charity.

Many can't comprehend why you and the attack-squad feel it's your duty to attack anyone with a view different than yours - and it's my view those buttons are anything but 'non-obtrusive' on a device that is seen/used as often as a Roku Remote that Roku Inc. AND those Advertisers KNOW they are. This part, at least, isn't Rocket Science. Yes, that is Prime, Ad-Dollar Real Estate many Roku Users would like to see un-populated by Billboards that CAN NOT be avoided (without surgery, of course). If Roku wants to make even more money (from their millions of users) - offer up generic remotes. They'll sell like hotcakes and soon could surpass even the most well-heeled Smiling Corporate Ad-Executive (pockets bulging with a never-ending source of CASH).

IF Generic Remotes are available then the problem may be one of Poor Advertising (there's a twist) , 'cause I don't know about them. If Users are given a choice, then we can feel pretty good about the fact that they'll make one. IF a User saw a Generic Remote was available (even for an extra cost), they'd buy one at the intitial purchase. I know I would. The Community Liaison can walk that idea down the hall. I'm certain it'll represent a few million $$$ for Roku Inc and we'll ALL feel a LOT less panic-stricken thinking Roku Inc. might not be making enough money. <--- Yea, that is fairly hilarious actually. Selling a $5 Chinese Hockey Puck for $100s to the tune of Billions of Units is like having a license to print money, but for the sake of argument... let's feel bad for Roku and worry about their profit margin. I'm willing to help.

lol

I've never accidentally hit any of the buttons on my remote, I'm able to ignore Roku's ads because they're pretty unobtrusive, and I don't get angry at any ads unless they cause problems for my computer (malware, etc.). Ads keep out-of-pocket costs down. We're not an "attack squad", we're other users, like you, who bought Rokus for their entertainment options. A lot of us just realize the reality of the situation is that more ads mean paying less for the Roku. Given there aren't any ads over my programming, I have zero problems here. 

You'd be much happier if you stopped caring about things like remotes and advertising, and just enjoyed the programming you want to watch. I just don't see this as something to get worked up about. When I don't like a product, I stop using it. There are hundreds of other options. I like Roku, and I like how they handle ads. If I didn't, I'd find something else. 
0 Kudos