Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FangerZero
Level 7

Roku Utra Remote Blank Shortcuts?

I was looking at getting the Roku Ultra, but noticed the remote on the package didn't have any shortcuts they were blank? What does that mean? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku Utra Remote Blank Shortcuts?

It means that they didn't put an image that could change on the outside of the box.

The buttons could change from remote to remote. It depends on who's paying (or otherwise negotiated with) Roku to have their shortcut buttons on the remotes. You could possibly buy two remotes at the same time and they could have different shortcut buttons.

One of my Ultras came with Netflix, Sling TV, Huhu, and VUDU. The other had CBS All Access instead of VUDU. A different remote for a different device has Sling TV in a different position and Amazon instead of VUDU/CBS.

Sure, they could put whatever was on the remote when they took the picture, but then some people would get home and start whining that the buttons inside don't match the picture. So, the picture has no apps showing.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

Having permanent shortcut buttons like this is not beneficial to the user because if there are channels on the buttons you don't use or that get discontinued they are absolutely useless. What Roku should do and could do if they wanted is to make blank programmable present buttons like on a stereo so you can set it to open any channel you desire. How awesome would it be to actually be able to set the buttons to whatever you used the most? But of course this would require Roku to care more about what's best for the customer first instead of making money. They'd rather sell spots for the buttons to specific companies for their channels just in order to get paid, similar to sponsors on a soccer jersey, it's pathetic. Hey Roku, why don't you do what's better for the customers who shell out 50 to 100 dollars for a Roku unit and give us programmable buttons instead of locking them into whoever bid the most for those buttons. It's just a total example of corporate greed, Roku doing what's best for lining their pockets even though it limits functionality for the user.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

I hate it when a company tries to make money and stay in business.

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"twiceover" wrote:

Seriously...  DOn't like them?  Don't press them.  They've been on every remote on every Roku I've had (except the 2xs) and I think I pressed one maybe twice.

So I guess if they've been on every remote for every Roku you've ever had then they should be on every remote for every Roku ever made in the future too? Great reasoning. It's not about ignoring the buttons if you don't use them, it's the fact that these buttons could be customizable and much more useful instead of being ignored for not liking them. And Roku makes plenty of money selling units without having to resort to auctioning off it's function buttons to the highest bidders.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

"Emissary35" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

So I guess if they've been on every remote for every Roku you've ever had then they should be on every remote for every Roku ever made in the future too? Great reasoning. It's not about ignoring the buttons if you don't use them, it's the fact that these buttons could be customizable and much more useful instead of being ignored for not liking them. And Roku makes plenty of money selling units without having to resort to auctioning off it's function buttons to the highest bidders.

Are you willing to pay an extra $5 or $10 per new Roku to offset the costs of not having these advertising buttons? Who are you to decide that "Roku makes plenty of money"?

I can't comprehend why people are mad that a company wants to make money, especially in a non-obtrusive way like this. Roku isn't a charity.
0 Kudos
jesanroy
Level 7

You could possibly buy two remotes at the same time and they could have different shortcut buttons.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Are you willing to pay an extra $5 or $10 per new Roku to offset the costs of not having these advertising buttons? Who are you to decide that "Roku makes plenty of money"?

I can't comprehend why people are mad that a company wants to make money, especially in a non-obtrusive way like this. Roku isn't a charity.

Roku has a huge ad on the homepage taking up a significant portion of there screen like a huge billboard. I think they are getting plenty of ad revenue already. Who are you to decide that Roku doesn't make enough money?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"mikebdoss" wrote:
... Who are you to decide that "Roku makes plenty of money"?...

"Emissary35" wrote:
... Who are you to decide that Roku doesn't make enough money?

What's next? "I know you are but what am I?" Besides, I thought you were fed up with Roku and were getting an Nvidia Shield or some such.

None of any of your stuff answers the original question. I think it was answered earlier by the first response and by and jesanroy. And at least twiceover and mikebdoss are always very helpful to users' questions ... when they don't have to spend the time refuting these side ventures people like you seem to insist on. All you ever seem to do is whine and hijack threads. Do you think that if you ever followed through with getting a different device, maybe then you'll go bother that company? Make sure it's not one that makes too much money now, mkay?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"mikebdoss" wrote:
... Who are you to decide that "Roku makes plenty of money"?...

"Emissary35" wrote:
... Who are you to decide that Roku doesn't make enough money?

What's next? "I know you are but what am I?" Besides, I thought you were fed up with Roku and were getting an Nvidia Shield or some such.

None of any of your stuff answers the original question. I think it was answered earlier by the first response and by and jesanroy. And at least twiceover and mikebdoss are always very helpful to users' questions ... when they don't have to spend the time refuting these side ventures people like you seem to insist on. All you ever seem to do is whine and hijack threads. Do you think that if you ever followed through with getting a different device, maybe then you'll go bother that company? Make sure it's not one that makes too much money now, mkay?

Nothing you just said answered any questions either, your entire reply was nothing but whining which is what you accuse others of. Looks like the pot calling the kettle black here.
0 Kudos