Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pressed_Rat
Level 7

Roku Ultra with URC MX-780 Remote

I have recently purchased a Roku 4660X. So far it has been performing well for me.

However I would like to be able to control it with my Universal Remote Control MX-780. There are some Roku remote codes in the URC database which make me believe this is possible. 

However I need a bit of help in two areas.

The URC MX 780 broadcasts RF to a transceiver that has IR emitters connected to it. The IR emitters are then attached over the IR sensor of the device to be controlled. It's an excellent system with long range and allows installation behind doors in cabinets etc. Unfortunately I can't figure out where on the Ultra the IR sensor is located. There doesn't seem to be a clue in the documentation and I can't tell by looking at it. Could you provide this information? A picture would be particularly helpful.

The second part of this is can you help with which set of codes in the URC database would be best? The following are listed:

HD1000
HD1500
ROKU 1
ROKU 2

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra with URC MX-780 Remote

Looks like it is in the front middle.  You should be able to use a flash light to see the little window the IR sensor pops through.

https://youtu.be/J2KGYDw-q-4?t=237

This video is for the P+ which has the same body style as the Ultra.  
0 Kudos
Pressed_Rat
Level 7

Thanks for that image of the PC board. I've used the flashlight trick on other devices but the plastic on the front of the Ultra is so dark I can't see the sensor through it.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Start with Roku 2 code, then use the universal browser to input pronto hex for other apps from this thread:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14040&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60
0 Kudos
mdavej
Level 7

The excel spreadsheet linked in the above thread has pronto hex for all known Roku IR codes as of the date of this post. That's a better source than the few codes posted in the body of the thread. However, you must create an account on that site to be able to download files.
0 Kudos
Pressed_Rat
Level 7

Thanks for the pointer to the Roku codes!
0 Kudos
Pressed_Rat
Level 7

Now that I have a remote generating Roku commands I've found that the IR sensor on the front of this model Ultra is on the left hand side (viewed from the front) near the end of the lettering rather than in the middle of the device. If you use the flashlight technique and look very carefully you can see a small bulb which is likely the sensor.

0 Kudos