Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pedrohead
Level 7

Roku Ultra with Sony IR Remote (VLZ620)?

I just purchased a Roku Ultra this weekend, and haven't been able to get it working with my Sony IR universal/learning remote (VLZ620). From searching around, it appears the Ultra works with IR and not just bluetooth, so it sounds like it should be possible. 

I can't "learn" the buttons from the Ultra remote, which I understand is because it's bluetooth based, but is there a "code" that I can use with my VLZ620 that will allow IR operation of the box? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Roku Ultra with Sony IR Remote (VLZ620)?

There is no Roku code in the sony vlz620, the sony 320 did have one, sorry. The ultra remote is not Bluetooth its wifi-Direct, but there is hope. Using your cell phone camera point the roku remote at it and press a key you shouldn't get any flashes because it communicating by rf. Now unplug the power from the ultra roku, the remote will switch to IR, and so you would see flashes with each button push. And now you can use it to teach the sony remote the roku commands. Once you plug the ultra back in, the remote will switch back to wifi. And Ultra will accept both IR and RF commands coming from two different remotes.  

0 Kudos
pedrohead
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. 

So help me out... what is the cell phone camera for? Am I to make sure the camera is active when the remote is pointing at it? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. 

And the "flashes" I should see are just from the LED on top of the Roku remote? Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Cell phone is just being used to test it, if you believe me, forget about the cell phone. Just unplug the power from the roku itself, now just start teaching the commands to sony remote using roku remote. I remember it being a pain in the rear to put the sony into learning mode, and three or so keys you have to press each time during the learning procedure.

0 Kudos
pedrohead
Level 7

ha, yeah it's a little bit of a pain. but i'll take a few minutes of pain if it means i can have just one remote at the end of the day to control and switch between my tv, receiver, blu ray, roku, etc. etc. 

thanks, i'll give it a try. 

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Cell phone is just being used to test it, if you believe me, forget about the cell phone. Just unplug the power from the roku itself, now just start teaching the commands to sony remote using roku remote. I remember it being a pain in the rear to put the sony into learning mode, and three or so keys you have to press each time during the learning procedure.

0 Kudos