Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m49808
Level 7

Roku Ultra remote losing pairing after some time of non-use

Hi, i have had this issue happen a few times, where the remote stops working after the box is sitting unused overnight. And now it seems to be happening more frequently.

I reboot the box with a hard power off (pull the plug), and it pairs up again as expected. Here is a description of a most recent problem:

When I turned the TV on this morning, it automatically restarted the show we paused at dinnertime yesterday (in Amazon). Then, when I wanted to turn that off, none of the remote buttons worked. I restarted the roku box and was able to use the remote. Watched one episode on Netflix and went to turn it off, but now the remote is not working again.

This is with fresh batteries. Purchased the Roku Ultra two weeks ago and have lost pairing at least 5 times. Remote works perfectly when it works, if that makes sense. Its either working or not, nothing in between.

Help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
aaronwt
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra remote losing pairing after some time of non-use

The Ultra uses a WiFi Direct remote. I force my Ultra to use channel 165 for the WiFi Direct channel. Where I know there are not many devices using that channel in my area. My remote always stays paired. Even when my rechargeable batteries die. I just put in some more batteries and it still works.

If you use a wired connection then you can force the Ultra to use a specific wifi channel. But if you use Wifi for connectivity to the Ultra, the WiFi direct channel will be the same.

WHen using the wired connection, you just connect the Ultra over wifi to an AP with the channel you want. Then you switch back to the wired connection. And the wifi direct channel will be using the channel that the wifi used. And it will keep using that channel until the Ultra reboots. And for me, that is only when there is a firmware update since my Roku Ultra has been extremely stable.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

I'm using the wired connection and have never touched the wifi settings on the device. And its odd, it works fine after reboot, it just loses it at some point. One would think that if the wifi channel was the issue, it would still be broken or intermittent when it is paired. It works perfectly for days at a time.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you use wireless or not. The issue is the amount of wireless signals in your particular location, as that is what can interfere with the remote. So forcing your remote onto a different channel might help.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

Update : Forced the wifi direct for the remote to use 5gz on an empty channel (apparently disabling screen mirroring capability does this for some reason?). Same issue. Happened overnight, lost ability to use remote.

Platform secret menu shows remote is 'asleep'. (i get there with an IR remote). Remove batteries etc nothing wakes it up except a reboot of the roku.

Called support. They are sending a new remote. Hope it fixes the issue.
0 Kudos
m49808
Level 7

replacement remote showed the same symptoms dropped off after 20 minutes of non-use, had to reboot the roku to get it to work again.. RMAed the whole unit after talking to support. 
0 Kudos
BobLafleur
Level 7

I see this is an old thread... Has there been any updates? I've had a Roku Ultra for a year now and it has had the non-responsive remote issue ever since I got it. I use wired networking. I'm getting tired of resetting the roku every time I want to use it -- which means, I don't use it much anymore. I'd like to get this problem figured out. Any suggestions? Does forcing the Wifi channel really help?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Please start a new thread.  Forum Guidelines

If a thread is older than six months, it's recommended to start a new thread due to differences in firmware and channel versions.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos