Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra remote draining battery in 2 days

Jump to solution

Hello @kweyama

We're here to help!

Battery life will vary based on usage. For normal use, the remote batteries may last two months or longer. Does your Roku remote support private listening? This may also be one factor for the battery drain if you are using this feature.

Please reply here with the serial number/device ID of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
grandpiano700
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Don't be misled and think that if you unplug the headphones it will not drain the batteries as much.  This is not correct because I unplug mine after a few hours of use and the new batteries are drained within 3 days.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have three different models of Ultra. While I never use the remote headset jack on any of them, my batteries last for several months at the minimum. Some go more than 6 months. Batteries that drain in a matter of days, and the headset jack is not in use, then there's something wrong with the remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lyfor

Jump to solution

my roku remote that came with roku speaker is draining batteries every 4 days. what is happening here?...we have 3 other Roku devices that do not do that.

0 Kudos
grandpiano700
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

4800X - Roku Ultra   

Note: it has the headphone jack and came with earbuds.  Not certain with your question of "Does it support Private Listening".  I began noticing the quick battery drain when I started using the earbuds.  I do not keep them plugged in and do not use them daily.   Maybe only a few hours at a time.  Maybe a few days in a row, a few hours per. 

s/n:   X010004R2HEE

device ID:    S02A20AR2HEE

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@grandpiano700 Using the jack does drain the batteries faster, but with only occasional use they shouldn't be draining as quickly as yours. It's possible that the headphone jack is sticking in the on position, which would engage the audio amp in the remote. That would drain the batteries in a matter of days, even if you aren't using the headphones. Try first to see if there's any visible contaminant inside the headphone jack. Also try rapidly inserting and removing the ear buds connector, to see if it continues. If the battery drain does continue, then you should submit a request for a warranty replacement of the remote. My 4800 remote batteries last for many months, although I do not use the headphone jack. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @lyfor

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

For us to help you out, please provide us the following information:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jcprice13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We're having the exact same problem with the remote for our Roku streaming stick. It's our 5th Roku, and we've never seen anything like this with our previous remotes. This one doesn't even have a headphone jack. It doesn't matter what brand we use. It chomps batteries every few days to a week, and we have to deal with that stupid "remote battery level" warning popping up on our screen every couple of minutes. It's a frigging nightmare. We replaced an older Roku box that would drop audio once or twice a day and force us to reboot it to get it back with this streaming stick. I love Roku, but I'm getting sick of these glitches. Plus, it has given us an overheating warning, which freaked me out but seemed to quickly resolve itself. When I tried to order the free extension cable, it was impossible to click "send." I filled out all the information and kept clicking, but it appeared to be a dead button. Even the website is glitching. Please help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jcprice13

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
portlock
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Spoiler
I stopped posting a long time ago because Roku replaced my 2 battery-eating devices. Both new ones at the first set of batteries, but I have not had a problem since. (Still on the second set.) I don't know what happened.

But...

Yesterday Xfininity Stream Beta and my other apps -- all except Netflix -- would not work. Something about "could not be reinstalled from the network." I did all the usual things, including dumping the apps, unplugging, reinstalling, ... nothing. Until I followed someone's suggestion and set the screensaver to default. (I never changed it from default. Why would I care what screensaver I have on? That's not why I watch Roku.) Worked the rest of the day. This morning, it happened again. This better not happen every day.

I know it's a different thread. My point is that these things sure have a lot of weird bugs.
0 Kudos