Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SadRemote
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra remote draining battery in 2 days

Jump to solution

No

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@nickb1979 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Steeler72

Jump to solution

My remote seems to be draining batteries pretty quickly also.  What gives?  Batteries are not cheap when you have to keep spending money to ensure you can use the remote.  Will I be forced to buy a new remote if this system is more than a year old?  If so, what is the cost?  Also, what if the next remote keeps draining batteries?  This is pretty annoying to change batteries every few weeks.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Steeler72 wrote:

My remote seems to be draining batteries pretty quickly also.  What gives?  Batteries are not cheap when you have to keep spending money to ensure you can use the remote.  Will I be forced to buy a new remote if this system is more than a year old?  If so, what is the cost?  Also, what if the next remote keeps draining batteries?  This is pretty annoying to change batteries every few weeks.

My batteries last for many months, so it's not a normal thing. If you are using headphones/ear buds connected to the remote, that will drain the batteries faster. If you don't unplug them when not in use, your batteries will drain within days. Plugging something into the remote turns the audio amplifier on, and it uses a lot of power. Leaving them plugged in when unused leaves the power amp on at all times. The batteries aren't large enough to keep that up for long.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Steeler72 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikegt2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Was there a solution to this issue. I am experiencing the same thing. I use duracell and energizer batteries and my controller is draining them insanely fast even if its not being used. Nothing plugged in and no button is stuck. Roku 3 4200x.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Mikegt2 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 3 4200x is an older model that is no longer under warranty. It's possible that the remote may simply be on its way out. If you need a replacement remote for your Roku 3 device, you can purchase a Voice Remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Mikegt2 wrote:

Was there a solution to this issue. I am experiencing the same thing. I use duracell and energizer batteries and my controller is draining them insanely fast even if its not being used. Nothing plugged in and no button is stuck. Roku 3 4200x.

Mike, the 4200 was released over 7 years ago (I know, yours might not be that old). Roku still supports it with updates, but it won't be long before some of the newest channels won't work on it. That might even be the case now. Rather than spending $20-30 for a replacement remote (yes, the cheaper IR remote also works, but you lose the WiFi control-ability as well as the headphone jack), you might consider a new player. The Premiere (IR remote) is $39 and the Stick+ (WiFi remote) are both 4K and use much faster processors than your model 3. Just something to consider. 

Dan

Mikegt2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice! I've had mine about 4 or 5 years and its been great. For now I'll just use the remote feature in the app. Was just hoping my actual remote still had a chance of working properly. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Mikegt2 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I've had mine about 4 or 5 years and its been great. For now I'll just use the remote feature in the app. Was just hoping my actual remote still had a chance of working properly. 

It's always possible that something has gotten stuck in the headphone jack, causing the audio amp to remain powered on. That would drain the batteries within a few days. Maybe plugging some headphones in and out of the jack rapidly a few times might dislodge something. Or, something has failed within the remote and that is keeping the amp powered up. With the batteries draining that fast, that has to be where the power loss is coming from. The question is if it's something repairable. Unless it's something jammed on that jack, the answer is probably no. 

Dan