Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra remote doing double click?

Jump to solution

Rodmueller, I have the same issue.  ProControl with IR codes.  Removed all repeats, tried 4 different IR codes, all have similar issues.  Netflix and Prime Video seem to be the worst, unusable.  Using the app remote works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue here with a Samsung TV and Samsung speaker bar. Driving me nuts. The app works perfectly but I want to use my remote. Using the ultra hard wired

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

i have the same issue with a Roku Ultra on a wired LAN connection. Has done it intermittently since day 1. This has become super annoying, i emailed roku support about it today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem here with all buttons and multiple apps. The solution I've found is to not use IR on the remote. If I block the front of the remote (IR emitter) and press a button, there is a delay as the remote wakes the RF system, but commands aren't sent twice. This makes me think there's an issue with command confirmation between the Roku device and the Enhanced Remote.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@BigFishTed wrote:

i have the same issue with a Roku Ultra on a wired LAN connection. Has done it intermittently since day 1. This has become super annoying, i emailed roku support about it today.

UPDATE: roku sent me a new remote the other day, no issues since.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

just sent in a support request on this problem. here is what I have found: the Roku remote uses both IR and WiFi for device control. The primary use of the IR is to control the TV power and volume. This is why the Roku iOS app cannot control the TV power and volume - no IR transmitter. I covered the Roku remote IR window with black tape to block ALL IR signals and this fixed the 'double click' issue. Sadly, it also prevents the remote from turning the TV on/off or changing the TV volume. The remote headphone 'privacy' works fine and I can adjust the headphone volume.

The double click issue is most likely caused by the remote sending both IR and WiFi button commands with a single button push.

I have a Harmony remote also that uses IR only and all remote control functions work with no 'double click. However, I cannot use it for private listening. Looks like the solution for now is to use multi remotes - and additional cost and 2 remote to juggle.

the fix should be simple - 

send the TV controls by IR only and the other button by WiFi - OR

give us a setting to disable sending commands via WiFi but keep the WiFi for voice control and remote headphones.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue described in this thread on multiple channels on a Roku Ultra.

@michael_j wrote:

The double click issue is most likely caused by the remote sending both IR and WiFi button commands with a single button push.

If this is in fact the issue, and covering the IR window on the remote fixes it, then covering the IR receiver on the Roku box should also fix it, I would think. I'm gonna try that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Update to my comment above, hope it helps others.

1. I wrapped the Roku box in black paper (since I wasn't sure where the IR receiver actually is). This did eliminate the double click issue. However, the response time, especially on first button in a while, became delayed. Reaction time to remote inputs would take a few seconds sometimes.

2. It then occurred to me that the problem could be related to the IR commands not getting through quickly enough, or multiple commands due to reflections. My Roku was in a cabinet somewhat behind the TV. So I unwrapped it and pulled it out to the front of the cabinet where there is a better direct line of sight from the remote to the Roku. Since doing that, I have not had any double click problem and all remote commands are prompt. 

So, the issue here may be just making sure that there's a good direct line of sight from your remote to the Roku.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

At some point this issue stopped happening to me and my Roku remote doesn't have this issue any more.  Two things have changed in my environment....

1. I added a new Wi-Fi extender to my home network and moved all of my entertainment equipment that isn't capable of having a wired connection to the new device.  The new device is located just on the other side of a sheet rock wall behind the Roku now instead of being behind and to the right of where I sit.  I am not sure if this made a difference or not.  The original Wi-Fi router is still active in the original location.  I just added the new extender to improve coverage on the other side of my house.  My Roku is still wired to my home network via an Ethernet cable, so it is not using Wi-Fi.

2. I have received several updates to the Roku firmware.  I know it will update on it's own, but I manually check for updates about once a week and I've been making sure it is always up to date.  I also reboot it after checking for updates.

I am going to guess a firmware update is probably what fixed the issue, but I don't really know for sure.  I came across this topic today and thought I would respond since I'm no longer facing this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this issue via IR control from a Crestron system.

The only solution (workaround) was to go in and make those functions "Pulse Only" within the IR driver. This of course prohibits you from pressing and holding to navigate, but better than random double-taps when trying to get to a particular object.

There is a thread about this issue on remotecentral.com (albeit old at this point) where it appears the problem was narrowed down to Roku firmware: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?39346

However, it is not clear as to whether the box actually gets a firmware update when performing any updates through the GUI. The consensus in that thread is that those apply to software only.

0 Kudos