Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra remote doing double click?

Jump to solution
I'm having this exact same problem.  Press a play-related button (Play, Pause, Instant Replay) and 3-5 seconds later the action is repeated by the Roku Ultra.  It's extremely frustrating putting a show on Pause as I'm getting up to leave the room, only to have it start playing again on its own after I've walked away.  Grrrr.

Roku sent me a new remote.  Didn't help.  I have the same problem when using the iPhone app to control the Roku.  Maybe the remote could be the trouble, since it both sends AND receives signals, which is how you can plug headphones into it.  (maybe?)

Roku finally replaced the entire unit under warranty, but the replacement device is worse than the original.

VERY frustrated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Depending on how the channel is built, there are some that will treat pause-play within seconds as a fast-forward action instead.

The repeating actions will be a remote issue so try another remote. Or if the Roku is behind glass, open the door.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Not applicable.  This isn't rapid Play/Pause presses.  This is, watch a show for a while.  Press pause to get up and leave the room.  Show resumes playing several seconds later when I'm out of the room.  I have to return to the room to hit Pause again.

Few minutes later, I come back, press Play to resume watching, set the remote on the table, lean back in the chair and the show pauses by itself.

I'm also on my THIRD remote from Roku.  (1.)  Original remote with new unit.  (2.)  Replacement remote sent from Roku Support.  (3.)  Remote included with warranty-replacement unit.  Two different Roku Ultras, and Three different remotes.

The ONLY thing I've found that reduces (not "cures") how often it happens, is to press AND HOLD the button for 2-3 seconds before releasing.  But that clearly shouldn't be required.  No other remote (TV, VCR, DVD, BluRay, etc) needs more than a quick press.

This almost has to be a problem inside the Roku device itself, because the problem is easily reproducible using the iPhone app, too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
 I have the same problem with my Roku ultra. I press the pause button and it will pause the program for 2 to 5 seconds then I get up to walk away and it starts playing on its own. The opposite is true I will hit the unpause button to start playing the program and it will pause itself without me even touching the pause button. I hope that a fix comes soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a Roku Ultra 2018 and also have this issue.  I press pause, walk away, and when I come back the video is playing.  I've tested and it usually starts playing around 3-4 seconds after I press pause.  Pressing pause a second time usually stays paused.  This happens with all the apps I use regularly, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Funimation...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
If you're seeing this type of issue, please feel free to generate a issue report tracker ID by pressing the home button 5 times, followed by the back button 5 times on your remote. 

Then, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku player from Settings>System>About, the model of remote that you are using (Look under the batteries inside the remote. The remote model number starts with RC-[__] ), more details about which specific channel you were watching when this occurred, and what type of wireless/wired network your player is connected to, etc. Any additional details will be helpful. 

I'd also recommend trying to use the free Roku mobile app for Android & iOS to see if you observe the same issue when using the remote screen within the app. You can see more about the app here: https://support.roku.com/article/115002681087-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-using-the-ro...

I'll follow up with you directly to continue gathering any info we may need. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Update:  Had 2 more email exchanges with Roku Support.

First one wanted me to switch Wi-Fi channels, saying their research shows Wi-Fi interference causes this problem.  I replied back saying mine is a wired network and I don't use Wi-Fi.  (which is true)

Couple weeks went by, before sending another reply-- this time telling me to connect the Ultra to a mobile hotspot and seeing if the problem goes away.  Seriously?  Take my WIRED device and connect it to a mobile hotspot??  Answer me this.  If you believe Wi-Fi interference is the root cause of the remote double-press problem, how is ADDING a Wi-Fi connection going to help?  And assuming I actually HAD hotspot service available (which I do not) who is going to pay the bill when my 1 GB data plan blows through its cap in under an hour?

Folks, it looks like they don't have a clue what the problem is, and are just grasping at straws now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
"rebus9" wrote:

First one wanted me to switch Wi-Fi channels, saying their research shows Wi-Fi interference causes this problem.  I replied back saying mine is a wired network and I don't use Wi-Fi.  (which is true)

Couple weeks went by, before sending another reply-- this time telling me to connect the Ultra to a mobile hotspot and seeing if the problem goes away.  Seriously?  Take my WIRED device and connect it to a mobile hotspot??  Answer me this.  If you believe Wi-Fi interference is the root cause of the remote double-press problem, how is ADDING a Wi-Fi connection going to help?  And assuming I actually HAD hotspot service available (which I do not) who is going to pay the bill when my 1 GB data plan blows through its cap in under an hour?

Folks, it looks like they don't have a clue what the problem is, and are just grasping at straws now.

rebus9, I feel your frustration, but I wouldn't be so quick to discount their attempts to help you. I think they are actually on the right track and that you are missing an important piece of the puzzle. 

From what I understand (and have experienced) the Roku remote itself uses its own Wi-Fi signal generated by the Roku base unit, so even though your videos are streaming through a wired connection, your remote is talking to the Roku via Wi-Fi. That signal is prone to interference from many sources, including Wi-Fi from your neighbors, Bluetooth devices (which operate at the same frequencies), cordless phones (many of which operate at the same frequencies), and maybe Wi-Fi from your smart meter (controlled by your utility company). 

Every house and every setup is different, which makes troubleshooting a problem like this a complete nightmare from their end. If you can, I'd recommend trying what they suggest, even temporarily to test it out. It may not make sense to you (and of course it may be way off base if they misunderstand your problem or setup), but the only way to figure it out is through trial and error, honest effort, and careful communication. 

Since you don't use Wi-Fi for data streaming, I believe you need to temporarily set up a Wi-Fi network (a mobile hotspot will do) so you can change the Wi-Fi channel of the Roku. This will force the Wi-Fi channel for the remote onto a different channel. Once that is done, you can disable the hotspot (certainly don't stream video through it). Does that make sense?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
"rebus9" wrote:

I don't believe they are suggesting this as a permanent fix. It's part of the troubleshooting process. Please help Roku help you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I am using a ProControl remote on a Roku Ultra.  I am having the same double click problem on the joystick arrows on Netflix.  Due to the programming access I have, all repeats have been eliminated and yet the problem continues.  I have not gone into the actual IR code yet to see if there is a repeat written in it.  It is interesting that the problem only occurs in Netflix, not in Hulu, Amazon, or Epix.  It appears to be a challenge in the apps handling of the commands.  Thank you for your comments.
0 Kudos