Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gloop05
Level 7

Roku Ultra remote doing double click?

Sometimes when I click "pause" on Netflix or Hulu it will pause, but then start playing again about 5 seconds later.  And the reverse is true.  Sometimes I'll unpause and then 5 seconds later it pauses.

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it (2017 Roku Ultra model)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra remote doing double click?

"gloop05" wrote:
Sometimes when I click "pause" on Netflix or Hulu it will pause, but then start playing again about 5 seconds later.  And the reverse is true.  Sometimes I'll unpause and then 5 seconds later it pauses.

Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it (2017 Roku Ultra model)?

Could be a dirty remote button. Try blowing it out with compressed air. Office supply places sell cans. Heck, Walmart sells them. Good for keeping other stuff clean, too. Keyboards in particular.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
rccryan
Level 7

5 seconds sounds like too much time for it to be caused by a dirty electrical contact on the remote. If it were dirty contacts, I would expect the pause/un-pauses to be much closer together (more like the common double-click problem with an old computer mouse that has a worn-out micro-switch), unless maybe you have a habit of pressing and holding the button for a relatively long time (2-3 seconds) each time. Do you have any problems with the other buttons? Any double-clicks when navigating the Roku home screen? 
0 Kudos
rccryan
Level 7

You asked for ideas on what's wrong, so here's an idea: 
Maybe it's caused by radio-frequency interference with the remote. 

I'm not sure how you have things set up, but based on other forum posts I've seen, if your Roku base unit is located between your Wi-Fi router and where you normally use the remote, then that could be an issue. 
If that's the case, can you move things so they don't line up like that? 
Alternatively, have you tried connecting your Roku base unit to the network via an Ethernet cable instead of via Wi-Fi (since you have that option with the Ultra)? 

I have a problem with similar symptoms using the "point anywhere" remote for my brand new Roku Streaming Stick (3800R) and unfortunately, my own setup has things lined up exactly like that, with the Roku stick about 6 feet from the Wi-Fi router, and there isn't much I can do to change it.
0 Kudos
MuhChicken
Level 7

I have the exact same issue. It has happened while using Netflix and Amazon Video.  The others I don't use very often.  Occasionally when I hit the pause/play button to pause a video it will resume within about 2 to 5 seconds without pressing any other buttons. It's inconvenient because I have usually put the remote down and started getting up by the time I realize it happened again.  Then I have to grab the remote, press the pause button again, and wait to make sure it will stay paused this time.  It has done the opposite when I resumed the show and it paused again without pressing any buttons.  I don't hold the buttons down either.  Just a quick press of the button like a mouse click is all I do.

No dust or other age issues because I just bought the brand new Roku Ultra 2018 model in late December 2018.
I have changed the batteries in the remote several times.
I have tried the reset procedure where you remove the batteries from the remote and unplug the Roku, wait 5 seconds, plug the Roku back in, and finally reinstall the batteries in the remote.  There are no other remote issues and the headphones work fine when I'm watching shows using those in order to be quiet.

My Roku is model 4660X2 with software version 9.0.0 Build 4142-46.  I've checked for updates and it says it is up to date.

The Roku is using a wired Ethernet connection to the router.  The router with Wi-Fi is on the other side of a sheet rock wall just behind and to the right of where I sit around 3 feet away.  The Roku is in front and slightly to the left of me around 6 feet away.

I also have an Apple TV 3rd gen, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, and Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-Ray player in the same setup and none of these have this issue.
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

I think these remotes just have crappy buttons. Mine will often register 2 home button presses with one click.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

I think the issue is how it decodes commands. I don't even use a Roku remote, and both a Roku 4 and a current-model Express will sometimes treat a key as double. The remote is universal and also used for TV and other devices with no issues.
0 Kudos
gloop05
Level 7

I started this thread back in Dec and after going nuts with this issue decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new Enhanced Remote from Roku.com.  And wouldn't you know it THE PAUSE/UNPAUSE problem STILL happens!

The problem is in the Roku itself.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gloop05

Thanks for letting us know what you're running into. Does the same behavior happen if you try using the Roku Mobile app's built-in remote control functions? 

Please feel free to PM me directly with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku Ultra, and any additional details about the issue you're running into. I'd be happy to continue assisting you directly to see how else we can help here. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
gloop05
Level 7

Hi Tanner. 

My Roku Serial # is:  CK3843546491 (it's a 2017 model Roku Ultra).

I tried using the Roku remote app on my phone for a day but the pause/unpause problem didn't occur (although as I said I only used it for a day and the problem is very random).

I have a Roku IR remote and this pause/unpause problem does NOT occur.
0 Kudos