Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJMaye
Level 8

Roku Ultra remote control "gone crazy"

This may be a well known problem, but both of my Roku Ultra's remotes do funky things sometimes.  Many times when I press play/pause the vox comes up for a voice command.  At first I thought i  was mistakenly hitting the button, but I am not.  I have had times I hit play or some other button and Hulu starts loading.  Crazy stuff.  I tried changing the batteries and still the same results.

Anyone else have these problems?
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra remote control "gone crazy"

You do know there's a voice button on the Ultra remote, right? You sure you're not hitting it when you think you're hitting the pause button?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SJMaye
Level 8

"Many times when I press play/pause the vox comes up for a voice command.  At first I thought i  was mistakenly hitting the button, but I am not"

Nope.  I am absolutely sure I am not hitting the voice button when this occurs.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Sorry, I overlooked that sentence. Is it the voice assistance that is turning on, i.e. is it verbally telling you what you're doing? That can be enabled/disabled by pressing the * button 3 times quickly.  People have activated it by mistake before. In fact, I did just yesterday.  Smiley Surprisedops:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SJMaye
Level 8

It happens most frequently when pushing the play/pause button, but has happened with other, non-adjacent, buttons as well.  An annoyance.  I can work around it.
0 Kudos
UpTheCreek
Level 7

I'm having the same issue. Same as you, at first I thought I was hitting another button accidentally but I am not. There are times I hit the down volume on the side (just once, press & release) and it's as if I'm not only holding it down (volume runs down to 0) but also something else like the left arrow/rewind. Similarly: I've hit the down arrow in the YTTV guide and it's as if I've hit Home; an arrow button and asks if I want to exit and load either Hulu or CBS All Access (the 2 bottom buttons on my remote); an arrow button and it thinks I've hit the back button one or more times and asks if I want to exit whatever app I'm in. And other times it will stop responding for a period of time and without even removing/reinserting the batteries it works again. I assume this is the remote and not the Ultra because it will also not control the volume when it's doing this. 

I was going to get a new remote to see if this resolves it but was checking to see if anyone else had the same issue in case there was a different fix. 

0 Kudos
SJMaye
Level 8

@UpTheCreek wrote:

I was going to get a new remote to see if this resolves it but was checking to see if anyone else had the same issue in case there was a different fix. 

Mine was never fixed.  I contacted Roku support.  After several troubleshooting steps they finally replaced the remote.   It does the same thing as the old one.  Maybe not as often, but it does it as well.  I simply resigned myself to living with it.

0 Kudos
UpTheCreek
Level 7

Thanks for the quick response. I had hoped you'd say a replacement remote worked. Except for it also running the volume down sometimes I'd think it was an issue on the box end, and maybe it still is, using the Roku app remote as much as possible may prove or disprove that; have had issues with a couple of Directv boxes where it thought I was hitting a button twice, seemed to be common and a problem with the box itself (RF or IR sensor).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You might give the phone app a try and see if the box still does it. They have a free app in both the Android and iPhone app stores. The only requirement (naturally) is that the Roku and the phone have to be connected to the same network. 

Dan
0 Kudos
UpTheCreek
Level 7

Yep have it and use it occasionally. The problem happens random enough that I'd probably have to use it exclusively for at least a couple of weeks to start to 'prove' it's not the box. I only had one time that it was a little more than just annoying, the sequence of misfires resulted in removing a show from my library on YTTV. I was able to immediately re-add it, and the 10 seasons I was in the middle of watching were still there.

0 Kudos