Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patarroyo
Level 7

Roku Ultra, remote control, Sony Bravia XBR65X900E, and optically-connected Klipsch SB-3 soundbar

I'm having trouble controlling my volume with a soundbar.

Roku Ultra
TV: Sony XBR65X900E (2017 model)
Soundbar: Klipsch SB-3

Sony->SB-3 is via optical, SB-3 is capable of learning remote control signals. I have been able to control the soundbar volume via both my Sony remote control, as well as a DirecTV remote.

When Roku is off (unplugged), Roku remote is capable of controlling to SB-3 volume after SB-3 has "learned" what signal to look for. I can only program the soundbar to respond to the Roku remote if the Roku Ultra itself is unplugged. But it successfully controls the soundbar volume.

When the Roku Ultra is powered on, the Roku remote is no longer capable of controlling the soundbar volume. It is as if whatever output the remote was using to control the soundbar is disabled.

What gives? Clearly the remote is capable of controlling the soundbar directly, which circumvents the lack of an HDMI ARC connection, or use of CEC, since my only inputs on the soundbar are RCA jacks and the optical in. But when the Roku is plugged in, the remote is incapable.

I am open to suggestions or insights as to what is happening with the remote when it is paired (when the Roku Ultra is powered on) and unpaired (when the Roku Ultra is disconnected from power).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
patarroyo
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra, remote control, Sony Bravia XBR65X900E, and optically-connected Klipsch SB-3 soundbar

Problem solved!  Apparently, I needed to try a second code. For more info, see:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 36#p600836

Also, on the Sony Bravias, there is a white LED that lights up on any signal from the remote (unless you've disabled it completely).  With the auto-guess code, this light wasn't working.  With the second code it tried (by saying the music hadn't stopped, because it had just been muted or something similar), the light started coming on with volume changes.

Tricky tricky! What are the chances that someone else would have a similar issue and come up with a solution on the same day?  September 7th must be auspicious.
0 Kudos