Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Level 10

Roku Ultra remote batteries draining

"dantengwen" wrote:
Purchased the Ultra about 3 weeks ago.
I'm watching TV about once a week, so really, I used my Roku about 3-4 times now.
Had to replace batteries every time I used it Smiley Surprised ( it even arrived with dead batteries)
something is draining the batteries...

• never used headphones from the remote

• Using new good brand batteries
This is bad.

This is also very unusual. My Ultra has has the same set of batteries for months.

If you're up to an experiment, try this. Put a fresh set of batteries in the remote (be sure to check the date on the batteries and ensure they are new out of a pack) and ensure it controls your Roku. Check the battery level.

• Firmware 8.x: Settings > Remote > Battery Level

• Firmware 9.x: Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remote > About

If the level is bad, stop and report back. Something weird is going on.

If the level is good, set the remote aside, out of reach, on a stable non-moving location. On a mantle, a bookshelf, or somewhere that means it won't be moved. This is important. No movement of the remote.

Next, install the Roku app on your phone or tablet. Use the app when you need to use the Roku for the next week.

At the end of the week, check the battery level.

If the battery level is good, then something is causing the remote to be moved a lot, which will drain the battery. The remote communicates movement to the Roku for gaming purposes.

If the battery level is bad, you got a bad remote. Return/exchange it.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Labels (1)
14 Replies
makaiguy
Level 11

Re: Roku Ultra remote batteries draining

Additional things to check:

Make sure you don't have a remote key stuck in the depressed position.

Make sure you don't place anything on top of the remote that might depress a key.  I've found it doesn't take much to do this.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
lancastd
Level 7

My batteries drain over night. I put a fresh set in last night (4th set this week) and have resorted to removing the batteries when we are not using the remote.

Sunday night I put a fresh set of batteries and checked to be sure the level was at 100%, it was. After watching TV for maybe an hour I turned the TV off and removed the batteries. Monday night my husband reinstalled the same batteries. The TV was on for approximately 2 hours when I turned it off but I forgot to remove the batteries. Yesterday morning (Tuesday) my husband turns on the TV but then the remote wouldn't work. I removed and reinstalled the batteries and it worked enough for me to check the battery level. It was at 7%

During the night the remote is set on the nightstand. I would really like to figure out what's going on rather than buying a new remote. This is our newest Roku and we've had it less than 4 months. We have 5 other Rokus with the original remotes still working fine for almost 2 years now.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"lancastd" wrote:
My batteries drain over night. I put a fresh set in last night (4th set this week) and have resorted to removing the batteries when we are not using the remote.

Sunday night I put a fresh set of batteries and checked to be sure the level was at 100%, it was. After watching TV for maybe an hour I turned the TV off and removed the batteries. Monday night my husband reinstalled the same batteries. The TV was on for approximately 2 hours when I turned it off but I forgot to remove the batteries. Yesterday morning (Tuesday) my husband turns on the TV but then the remote wouldn't work. I removed and reinstalled the batteries and it worked enough for me to check the battery level. It was at 7%

During the night the remote is set on the nightstand. I would really like to figure out what's going on rather than buying a new remote. This is our newest Roku and we've had it less than 4 months. We have 5 other Rokus with the original remotes still working fine for almost 2 years now.

Any ideas?

Though you didn't state the model Roku you are using, I'm assuming it's the Ultra, as that is the topic of this thread. If the device is less than a year old, it's under warranty. The warranty should also cover the remote, provided there is no damage to the remote.

If you want to do some troubleshooting though, here's some possible actions to help gather additional information and perhaps determine if it's the remote itself.

Do any of your other Roku devices support WiFi Direct remotes? You didn't say what model (to include model number) they are, but if they are all less than 2 years old, and if they are Ultra (4640, 4660, 4661), Premiere+ (4630, 3921), Stick (3600, 3800), Stick+ (3810), then they do support WiFi Direct remotes. Older devices do, too, but based on your post, I'm limiting to the last two years. I have no experience with Roku TVs, so I'm not addressing those.

If you have one of those devices listed above, you should be able to swap remotes with one of those devices. I'd suggest another Ultra, but other would do.

Once you swap remotes, see if the problem remains with your Ultra (now with a different remote), or if the problem follows the remote to the other device. If it follows the remote (as I expect) then it's the remote. If not, and the issue now appears on the different remote (but same Roku device) let us know.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
lancastd
Level 7

Thank you. I had intended to edit and include that it's a 3810 but got distracted. Thank you for reminding me about the warranty. I'll check into it tomorrow.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"lancastd" wrote:
Thank you. I had intended to edit and include that it's a 3810 but got distracted. Thank you for reminding me about the warranty. I'll check into it tomorrow.

If an exchange doesn't resolve, come back and start a new thread about it. This thread is for the Ultra. You have a Stick+. Yes, the troubleshooting steps may be different, so let's keep threads on topic, and start a new one if your issue doesn't resolve.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
nwerle
Level 7

should not drain just because moved so stupid is this design

0 Kudos
ColinDelaney
Level 7

I have had my Ultra installed for a few months. I am on my fifthset of batteries, and now it seems as if I am replacing batteries weekly. I see others complain about this. I also see that the only vaguely reasonable explanation I have seen is that while the Ultra is in sleep mode the remote is still communicating with the Ultra. By “reasonable” I mean “likely”. This is nonsense. The last two battery sets that I put in that died were fresh. They die very unceremoniously, often while I am using it. No warning of any kind. I have had the unit long enough that I can’t return it or swap it out. Therefore, unless there is some new information about what it could be this is just an attempt to keep this issue alive and make Roku see that this is really unacceptable product behavior.  I don’t use the headphone feature.

is there any way to replace the remote or reset it somehow??

RickB1
Level 7

I am having this issue as well, two sets of batteries in only a couple weeks. I can not find out how to return this remote for an exchange. I hope to keep my Ultra just exchange remote.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ColinDelaney @RickB1 

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos