Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PawPawRon
Level 9

Roku Ultra remote Model RC-AL9 Freezing Issues

Our Roku Ultra remote Model RC-AL9 began having issues tuesday night-it froze when I tried to restart a show we were watching that had been paused-I am familiar with pulling the batteries and reinserting them-when that did not work after two tries I got a new set of batteries, tested the new set before installing, they were fully charged as were the set I pulled. New ones did not work either. I tried using the procedures at https://support.roku.com/article/208755708 about 6 times, then pulled the batteries, unplugged the unit and went to bed. Yesterday I began the procedures once again, several times it would restart, pair and go to home page but then only allow moving the cursor 1 or 2 steps and froze again. Did this about 5 times before trying something I read on a tech site, after the battery pulling, unpowering the unit and restarting once again I sat the remote next to the unit, I then left it go for about 1/2 hour and this time it began to work. Worked fine all afternoon when my Wife was watching and when be started watching in the evening but then occasionally it would freeze. Took batteries out, then work again. Then last thing it turned on, went to home, moved one selection over and froze. I was simply too tired to bother with it again and can only assume either the unit or the remote is defective. I spent about 45 minutes Tuesday night and another 1 1/2 hours yesterday and am too old for this type of aggravation. If there is something else I can try, pls advise. One thing I was able to do when it was working was to check for software updates, it stated it had last been checked on Sept 7, 2021 and last updated June 30, 2021. I purchased the unit Nov 28, 2019 but did not begin using until Feb 2020 and gave it a 5 star review on Amazon and have been mostly pleased with it despite the occasional hiccup with the remote but this current situation simply is not resolving 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Ultra remote Model RC-AL9 Freezing Issues

@PawPawRon

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Serial Nr. YJ002P485843

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Quick update - got the remote "partially" working again last evening. Was able to move between options or channels, pause HOWEVER, no control over Volume and NO ability to MUTE?

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Remote is still wonky. Never received any reply from Roku Danny after one week now?? I am sorry now that I gave them a positive review on Amazon. Will seriously be looking at the new Firestick 4K rather than buying another remote.

Any suggestions from anyone besides Roku are welcome?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@PawPawRon, did you ever program the new remote for your TV?

Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->Enhanced Voice Remote->Set up remote for TV control

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Multiple times. I have gone thru the reset process at least 12-15 times now and yes, I have programmed it before with success. Had no issues with the remote other than the occasional hiccup that only required taking the batteries out, waiting a bit of time and putting them back in and that was it. this time it is totally different. I go thru the entire reset process as outlined both here at the roku site and that which is found on various tech sites on the net. One time several buttons work for a time or two then frozen. I actually had it working for about 2 1/2 days but again last night I went to change the volume and no go, then none of the buttons worked again. Pls review my original post as I had much of this posted there. Thankfully, I did download the app for my phone and am able to use that but without any volume or mute control which means I have to use the TV remote to change volume, mute and turn power off and on.

My main frustration with this is two things> I have used the remote about 1 1/2 years, this should not happen to a piece of electronic equipment that has any sort of quality control reviews. Look on the net at the complaints, I am not the only one. 2nd frustration is the TOTAL lack of any support or feedback by ROKU tech or customer support. Additionally, why are remotes covered for 2 years warranty in the UK but not in the USA?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@PawPawRon

Thanks for the follow up.

In regards to the original post inquiry, you posted that the remote is working again so it didn't appear that you needed further assistance.

As for your remote no longer control the volume, please be aware that we are currently investigating a similar issue that you may be experiencing here: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV co...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Thank you for replying But the entire remote functions fail and have continued to fail, over and over again, not just the volume/mute controls. I continue to do the resets and the majority of the time they fail or allow me to get one or two functions and then fails completely again. If I only had to do this once a month or every few months I would write it off to being the price we pay for using electronics and software but this is really gotten old and annoying. So bottom line, NO, the volume/mute is not my issue, the entire remote is.

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Level 9

Just an update. My remote has now totally failed and will not reset. I am now using a generic remote that has streaming control but does not have all the functions of our Roku remote. 

0 Kudos