Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
privateerboy
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra a dissapointment

I purchased the Ultra as an upgrade based on the company hounding me with pricing discounts.  I liked the features of the new remote, so I purchased it.  The install was smooth, the operation was disastrous.  When it worked, it was wonderful.  But most times it caused pixels across the screen, or didn't respond at all.  I had to continuously unplug the power source and restart the system to get it to work.  Not like my experience had been with Roku in the past.  So, after 10 days it is going back to the Sender....!!!!

10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra a dissapointment

If you haven't sent it back yet ..

Your problem may be caused by a change introduced by Roku operating system version 10.5. It added added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.  One way out if this is to power the Roku down and back up.

Also, another reported way is by pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, see if deactivating any power saving options you find under "Auto power savings" will prevent your Roku from going into standby. .

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
privateerboy
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestions, but it is not worth my time to have to reboot the Roku box each time.  Also, about 25% of the time a horizontal green pixel band would flash on/off on the TV picture.  I have a 3 year old Roku TV, so that shouldn't be happening either.  In researching the device before purchasing, there were many negative comments about the product's performance.  Add mine to the list.

0 Kudos
privateerboy
Channel Surfer

Another problem is even though the product doesn't work properly, Roku requires me to pay return postage ($15.79)....!!!!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi there @privateerboy,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are experiencing a pixelated green screen of your Roku Ultra, is that correct?

If this issue remains unresolved, can you please provide the serial number/device ID of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About? In addition, can you please provide a screenshot that would be helpful for our team to assist you further with this problem?

We look forward to your response so we can continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
privateerboy
Channel Surfer

Too late Mary, I have already shipped the product back.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @privateerboy,

Thanks for the update.

If you need any additional help and we’ll follow up to continue assisting you.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
theplayer
Reel Rookie

I upgraded from a Roku 4 to a Roku Ultra. This has been an awful experience, causing me to reconsider an Apple TV. When the Ultra goes into screensaver mode, it loses track of what I'm watching -- I have to go 'Home' and start again; It continually interrupts with complaints about the HDMI cable; and now I find that the HDMI cable that shipped with the Ultra is defective.  I would also point out that I ordered the Ultra for $69 (a deal for Roku 4 users) but was charged $99. Altogether, not a good experience. Not sure what to do next...

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@theplayer 

If you got a bad device, you may want to consider returning it. Returns page.

If you have a billing concern, submit a billing issue on the Contact page.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

A couple of thoughts:

There are settings you can change for when, and even if it activates the screen saver.  However, from your description, I think that may be the low power mode that was added recently.  I believe that one does essentially send you back to the home screen.  That one can also be turned off if you like. 

Maybe the cable from the old Roku would work?