Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra Won't Detect/Pair with Older Enhanced Remote

I just set up a new Roku Ultra to replace my original Roku device (X2, I think, bought in 2013) which had an enhanced (wifi, with green green A and blue B buttons at bottom) remote I love and hope to keep using (I also hate the new enhanced voice remote; mute and volume buttons are in the way and I don't use voice or those buttons). Ultra refuses to detect and pair with my original enhanced remote, and I forked over for it for the sole reason that I believed it would. Have tried all troubleshooting steps except digging around in router settings. How can I get the Ultra to pair with my old enhanced remote? And if it just can't, is there a replacement enhanced remote without the volume and mute buttons available for purchase that WILL pair with the Ultra?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku Ultra Won't Detect/Pair with Older Enhanced Remote

Sorry but you're out of luck, your own xs remote is bluetooth, where the current Enhance Voice remote is Wifi-Direct. Different type of RF signals. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks, Tivoburkee. (Roku, pls consider making Ultra pairable to older enhanced remotes)

Is there an Ultra-compatible enhanced remote available that doesn't have the Volume and Mute buttons on the side? Looking at the accessories options, that wasn't clear to me? The gaming one, maybe?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@SD2 wrote:

Thanks, Tivoburkee. (Roku, pls consider making Ultra pairable to older enhanced remotes)

Is there an Ultra-compatible enhanced remote available that doesn't have the Volume and Mute buttons on the side? Looking at the accessories options, that wasn't clear to me? The gaming one, maybe?

The 2 XS was an anomaly, in that it's the only remote that used Bluetooth. You can't pair with Bluetooth if your device doesn't support it. And there's no way to add BT to an existing product, as it needs hardware support. And you can't make the BT remote work with WiFi, again a hardware difference.

However, the 2 XS remote does support IR, as does your Ultra. So you should be able to use it via IR. As long as there's a clear line of sight between the remote and the front panel of the Ultra it should work. Unless Roku has changed the IR codes used over the years, which I don't believe is the case. 

Also, the mere fact it's enhanced will mean that any current Roku remote will have volume buttons. Only the basic IR remotes are lacking that. Even though the gaming remote isn't labeled enhanced, the fact it has voice command makes it enhanced. And it does have volume buttons, just no mute that I can see from the pictures. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

The remotes don't support IR, its the Roku themselves that accepts two kinds of signals. The xs remote is only BT, and the ultra's enhance voice remote is wifi, but would switch to IR if the roku was unplugged, plug it back in and wifi again. In use its wifi only. 

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 21

@Tivoburkee wrote:

The remotes don't support IR, its the Roku themselves that accepts two kinds of signals. The xs remote is only BT, and the ultra's enhance voice remote is wifi, but would switch to IR if the roku was unplugged, plug it back in and wifi again. In use its wifi only. 

Ah, the Wiki page doesn't make that clear. Thanks for the explanation. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks, atc.

My old remote doesn't appear to support IR, unless there's a switch or setting somewhere for it I need to toggle, as it also didn't work with a Roku Express that was my first attempt at replacing my much-loved but increasingly not supported original Roku, the discovery of which made me get the Ultra instead. I did try holding it right in front of the Ultra, and no response, either when pairing or just pressing buttons (which appeared to make my older remote try to pair again, to no avail).

I get the hardware differences and meant my feedback-type comment more as wishful thinking, something to consider for future versions of Ultra or some new player down the line. Or maybe to prompt the making of a non-voice, non-TV-controls enhanced remote for those of us who have soundbars and don't use voice (a gal can dream). Or else move those controls off the side of the remote.

Appreciate all the help and info from those who have responded; it seems I'll just need to resign myself to the new remote, at least for now. I can't guarantee I won't pry that in-the-way Mute button off, though. Grrr. (Kidding)

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

No, there's no switch that can be thrown. @Tivoburkee clarified the information I was getting from the Wiki page. Apparently that remote is BT only. 

I have to be honest though. I have a 2 XS and other than testing something for a user here it hasn't been out of a desk drawer in many years. It's far too underpowered to even run apps from a couple of years ago. YouTube was useless, which was one of my main uses. I first replaced it with a Roku 4, then moved to the Ultra for HDR support. I also had a 3600 Stick and even that was a huge improvement over the 2 XS. My grandkids are using the 4 and 3600 Stick, so every Roku I have now is a 4640 Ultra or newer. I do have an Insignia 720p Roku TV in the guest room, and while it can be sluggish it too is vastly better than the 2 XS. 

If you don't program the remote to match your TV, the mute button shouldn't be doing anything. Unless the Roku is controlling it via CEC. If that's the case, and you don't care about using CEC features, you could disable it in your TV menu, or turn off 1-Touch play on the Roku. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

If you're ok with IR only remote, I suggest the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer remote. Its a one device remote that can programmed for three types of devices, tv, Streamer, and soundbar. Each device is programmed to certain keys that make up one whiole device. Its also a learning remote. They go for $25 at walmart, but open box versions on ebay go for about $10.

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

here it is next to a Roku tv voice remote. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you both. Yeah, the BT-only detail was posted while I was composing my earlier reply, so didn't see it til after I had posted.

I've already disabled 1-touch.

Accidentally pressing Mute button, which happens often because my hands are small and just picking up or holding remote firmly enough to press top buttons causes side of index finger to depress Mute, causes a Not Available message to flash on the screen. If that didn't happen, would be live-withable.

Not keen on IR-only simple remote but may end up having to go to that type due to bad location of Mute button on enhanced one.

0 Kudos