Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Level 9

Roku Ultra Voice Remote "Doesn't Understand" Anything I Say

I have two Roku Ultras both purchased in 2017. One of them the remote microphone button and voice search works just fine, while the other remote doesn't understand anything when I hold down the microphone button and speak.

The remote that doesn't work with the voice search has the purple search circle icon flashing very fast and doesn't understand anything when I speak. The remote that does work with voice search has the purple circle icon flashing slower and only flashes when I'm speaking.

I have tried pairing each of the remotes to the other Roku Ultra, the remote that has the working voice search works on both Rokus, the remote that doesn't have a working voice search doesn't work on either Roku. So something is definitely up with the remote and I can't figure out the cause. The remote is in good condition and is not physically damaged. Is there anyone that can help with this? I can't find a solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Ultra Voice Remote "Doesn't Understand" Anything I Say

[post moved to appropriate board]

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing. We will do our best to get you back up and running again.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Rochambeau
Level 7

Voice search not working

4660X - Roku Ultra
Software: 9.1.0

When I try to search with the remote, I hold the microphone button and speak my search phrase. Every time it responds with "Unable to hear you. "

If I speak exceptionally clearly, loudly, even shout, it gives me the same response.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Voice search not working

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing. We will do our best to get things up and running.

We recommend that you restart your device and try repairing your remote.

If this still does not resolve your issue, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

Same exact thing is happening to me, unplugging the Roku and plugging it back in doesn't fix the problem, neither does repairing the remote. The voice search simply won't recognize anything spoken, it's ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Rochambeau
Level 7

Forgive my n00bness but how do I send you a PM?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Emissary35 

Have you tried disconnecting the power to your device for a moment, rebooting your wireless router, then plugging your Roku back in to see if this helps resolve the issue? I'd also recommend changing the batteries in the remote, and trying to pair the remote to your player again from Settings>Remotes and devices. 

You might also check for a system update in Settings>System>About to see if there is any update available. If that still isn't doing the trick, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About. 

@Rochambeau No worries! Check out our helpful post here for more tips about how to use the Community, including how to send a private message. You can click any username, then use the option to 'Send this user a private message'.

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 9

Yes I've tried disconnecting the power to my Roku and rebooting my wireless router then plugging my Roku back in, it doesn't resolve the issue.

I've tried changing the batteries and repairing the remote with the Roku after and this didn't resolve the issue.

I am up to date on the current software when I check for updates, none of your suggestions have worked.

I've also sent a private message with my email address and serial number and have not heard back from technical support with any fixes yet. This is becoming extremely frustrating.

0 Kudos