Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RNAckerman
Level 7

Roku Ultra Remote disconnecting randomly, sound not working

I have had a Roku Ultra for about 2 months and at first the sound started getting bad with static, then the sound stopped, now the remote randomly stops working. I have to remove the batteries and sometimes it comes back. If not I have to remove the batteries, reset the Roku, then sometimes reconnect the remote. Sometimes it just comes up. And then I am good for another 30 minutes or so. I have swapped with new batteries (different brands) right out the battery package, I have switched from 5G to 2.5G. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra Remote disconnecting randomly, sound not working

Thanks for the note here. A few questions to help understand what you're seeing a bit better: 

1. What model of Roku Ultra do you own? (Settings>System>About) 
2. Which channel(s) are you watching when the issue occurs? Does this happen across all channels? 
3. Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router, to see if this helps avoid any wireless interference from nearby networks that may be operating on the same channel? (For example, on a 2.4 GHz wireless network, most routers default to channel 1, 6, or 11. Try moving to a different channel that isn't in use by another network around you. We also tend to recommend using 5GHz Wi-Fi networks when possible, to help avoid these types of issues.)
4. If you install the free Roku mobile app, and use the private listening feature from the app instead of the remote, do you experience the same issue with static and audio dropping out? 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
RNAckerman
Level 7

1. Per Settings>System>About - 4660X - Roku Ultra, serial number YJ0089478428
2. Netflix and CBS All Access. Haven't checked other channels. Will try tonight.
3. Have changed the channel today, time will tell if that will work. I will be trying tonight.
4. I have the remote app on my phone and use that with headset with no issues. Remote no longer works for audio headsets.
0 Kudos
RNAckerman
Level 7

Over the last two nights I made sure I was watching shows with the remote audio. Since I changed the WIFI channel everything seems to be working fine. I will continue to monitor and if there problem persists, I will report it. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos