Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcl1jw
Level 7

Roku Ultra Remote and new LG TV. Roku volume will not control the TV

I see lots of questions re: my problem but I don't see any solutions.

Roku remote will not control tv volume. It will turn the tv on and off.
Just received Roku Ultra and the software is updated. Roku was purchased from Roku  web site.
TV is LG 65NANO90UNA Alexa Built-In NanoCell 90 Series 65" 4K Smart UHD NanoCell TV (2020) and purchased new in Oct.
Receive same Roku message each time and tried to set up the remote several
times. Message says the Roku remote will not work with my LG TV.

Have rebooted, re-paired, and gone through the set up remote to control tv several times.

Any suggestions,

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra Remote and new LG TV. Roku volume will not control the TV

Try Goldstar or Vizio tv brands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mcl1jw
Level 7

Thanks Edmund but that does not work for me.

Have also tried Samsung, Sony and Panasonic.

This morning the on/off button is also not working.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Connect the Roku directly to the TV, turn off/disconnect any AVR/soundbar, run "Set up remote for TV control".

Verify your 4800 (? you didnt say which Ultra model) has firmware 9.4.1-4222 and the remote firmware version is rtn.4080.   Also make sure you have latest firmware (03.21.10) for that LG model as well.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
mcl1jw
Level 7

Thanks for responding.

Here's what I show for my remote and TV.

Nothing is connected to audio output (Sonos playbar and 2 Sonos speakers in my case)

Roku Unit: 4800R

Remote Model: RC506, Enhanced Voice Remote

Remote Firmware: rtn.4080

LG TV Firmware: 03.21.10

I can now turn the TV on and off with the Roku remote.

Volume on Roku remote works with internal speakers.

Above steps were done with the Optical out disconnected.

Below is what happens when the Optical out is connected.

Volume on Roku remote does not work when LG TV Sound Out is set to Optical.

Roku remote starts to work, volume will go up down once or twice and then stops working completely and displaysLG message on TV screen "Please control with Magic Remote".  LG's Magic Remote will control volume but this means you need 2 remotes to make things work.  I'm not a fan of using 2 remotes.

Reason for wanting Optical output to work is the sound is in Dolby 5.1 and Sonos has a great sound.  All other audio outputs are just stereo,

Believe I was able to get the On/Off and the volume to work (with Internal Speakers only) is you having me turn off the TV and disconnect the audio output prior to setting up the remote.  Seems like when I did that the remote setup displayed a different message when it asked if the sound was turned off.  It displayed the number 1 when asking if the sound was off and the sound was off.  Prior to that it asked if the sound was off, didn't turn the sound off and did not display the number 1.  Numbers 2 to 5 or 6 displayed but not 1,  Could be number 1 was there but I didn't see it.

I'm down to discovering why the Optical output does not work with Roku remote.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again

Mike

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

You did not mention anything about controlling a third party device in the title or your first post. The roku remote only controls tv's nothing else. It is up to your tv to control the soundbar or audio device via hdmi-cec. But in your case you're not connected via hdmi and won't send the commands over the optical cable. So its IR from the roku remote to the tv, then its hdmi-cec signal over the hdmi cable to the soundbar. That is only way you going to get the roku remote to control the volume of the soundbar. Want to only use optical? Get a universal remote that controls roku's and tv's, and audio devices. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
mcl1jw
Level 7

The soundbar was intentionally left out so as not to confuse the problem.  I was not able to get the sound with or without the soundbar being attached.  There was nothing I saw that says do not attempt to set up the Roku if you have an optical out device attached.  Doing more reading I see the optical out does not work in many, many cases and that the problem has been going on for many months.  I am grateful for your responses and thank you.

What I don't understand is why Roku doesn't mention this to potential buyers and why they don't fix the problem that's many months old.  Only solutions, in my case, seems to be to buy a sidekick, 3rd party remote, or return the Roku.  Have not had this problem with other Rokus or TVs.

Thanks again,

Mike

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@mcl1jw wrote:

The soundbar was intentionally left out so as not to confuse the problem.  I was not able to get the sound with or without the soundbar being attached.  There was nothing I saw that says do not attempt to set up the Roku if you have an optical out device attached.  Doing more reading I see the optical out does not work in many, many cases and that the problem has been going on for many months.  I am grateful for your responses and thank you.

What I don't understand is why Roku doesn't mention this to potential buyers and why they don't fix the problem that's many months old.  Only solutions, in my case, seems to be to buy a sidekick, 3rd party remote, or return the Roku.  Have not had this problem with other Rokus or TVs.

Thanks again,

Mike

The Roku isnt using Optical out - your LG TV is (due to the limitation of your Soundbar).   Optical doesnt carry volume or CEC or any such information.

If your Soundbar supported HDMI/ARC then this (and a whole host of other limitations/issues) would be bypassed. 

(As a side note, I dont understand how any audio equipment released after 2010 doesnt have HDMI/ARC support, considering ARC was approved in 2009, let alone 2013 when the Playbar was released.  As a second side note, there are AVRs/Soundbars that were released that have HDMI CEC (no ARC) support used in conjunction with Optical input to control the power/volume.)

How is a Roku (or any device) going to control your Soundbar's volume if there's no way to get the volume control information to it (outside of IR)?

Remember, the Roku remote's Power/Volume controls are intended for TVs - which has no ability whatsoever to control any volume etc over Optical.

However, since Sonos systems "learn" IR from other device's remotes, you should be able to configure the Roku remote for your LG TV, then go through the Sonos process to configure the Sonus to learn those commands from the Roku remote (so it'll control both the TV and the soundbar whether using internal speakers or not):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=en_US

StreamerUser

0 Kudos