Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra Remote Won't Control New TV Volume

Jump to solution

Hi guys, so I've had the Roku Ultra for awhile now. Used to have a Sony TV and the Roku remote controlled the volume the whole time. Bought a Samsung TV last year and ever since I can't control the volume. I've played with settings on the TV and the Roku without luck, even did a factory reset. Any ideas cause its driving me crazy?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra Remote Won't Control New TV Volume

Jump to solution

Update... since this older Roku Ultra also had audio lag only with Dolby Digital 5.1... I decided to buy the new Roku Ultra 2020. This fixed my remote problems, the audio lag issues & HDR. I would recommend the new device to anybody with any of these problems. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The power and volume buttons on wifi-direct Roku remotes send the appropriate signals to your TV via line of sight infrared (IR) signals. Different tvs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to send the signals for YOUR tv.

Roku menu path:
Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes > Remote (In use) > Set up remote for TV control

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Tried that & just tried again but it says “The current remote does not support tv control”.  But this remote worked fine on my Sony so I just don’t get it. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Is this tv so new it doesn't accept IR commands just Bluetooth? See if you have to turn on something for it to accept IR commands, which is the only thing the roku remote will send to the tv.

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This TV is a Samsung Q70. It came with a smart remote but I also bought a regular Samsung $12 IR remote that turns the TV on & all the functions work so I assume it works over regular IR.
My Roku Ultra’s model is 4640x

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

So the roku remote doesn't have IR tv commands like the current roku remotes do. The only way it controls the tv volume is by hdmi-cec, see if you can refresh the cec devices or even turn on the feature in the samsung menu, it may be call anynet+?

All Tv's that have cec feature respond to same signals sent over the hdmi cable, there is no reason to set it for different  tv brands. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, I’ll see if I can refresh it some how. I do know that the Anynet+ feature is set to on. I toggled it on/off a bit ago to see if it did anything without luck. I’ll play with TV settings after work today, here’s hoping...

0 Kudos
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So no luck. The Roku remote does turn the TV on and changes the input to my Roku but no volume control. I’ve had Sony TV’s for years & this is my first Samsung.... not impressed. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The roku remote sends the same command no matter what tv brand you have, if the tv isn't accepting thses commands it has nothing to do with the roku remote its all the samsung fault. 

Just upgrade the remote to a voice remote with tv controls, and control the tv by IR instead of hdmi-cec. The enhanced voice remote with headphone jack and the regular voice remote are both backordered into Feb. You can buy the voice remote without headphones at walmart or best buy. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Livesupermatt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you all. I was being funny with the Samsung comment cause this isn't the only problem the TV has. The HDR gets wonky, the “Standard” picture mode setting disables the backlight & this remote won’t control it’s volume. I’m going back to Sony after this but also buying one of those newer remotes for the meanwhile. 

0 Kudos