Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guitarstar
Level 7

Roku Ultra Remote Questions.

I bought a new 2018 Roku Ultra and have it set up.
Set up asked me what my TV manufacturer was (LG) and now it turns the TV on and off.
Unfortunately, I'd rather it turn the Roku on and off, is there any way to do that?
Also, in my effort to deregister my LG TV from the remote I went into setup and asked it to set up the remote to work with my TV and when it says "can you hear music from your TV speakers" I said it no, hoping it would bring up the list of TV's so I could select something else, but now it tells me to go on-line for help and it won't bring up the list of TV's to scroll through like it did at the beginning. Anyone know how to make that happen like it did right out of the box ? 
If I get a new TV that's maybe a Sony and not an LG, I have no idea how to make it learn the new TV remote commands.
Thanks, for any help !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra Remote Questions.

"Guitarstar" wrote:
I bought a new 2018 Roku Ultra and have it set up.

Set up asked me what my TV manufacturer was (LG) and now it turns the TV on and off.

Unfortunately, I'd rather it turn the Roku on and off, is there any way to do that?

You can't turn off the Roku.
"Guitarstar" wrote:
Also, in my effort to deregister my LG TV from the remote I went into setup and asked it to set up the remote to work with my TV and when it says "can you hear music from your TV speakers" I said it no, hoping it would bring up the list of TV's so I could select something else, but now it tells me to go on-line for help and it won't bring up the list of TV's to scroll through like it did at the beginning. Anyone know how to make that happen like it did right out of the box ? 

If I get a new TV that's maybe a Sony and not an LG, I have no idea how to make it learn the new TV remote commands.

Thanks, for any help !

Not sure why you're wanting to de-register the TV. What are you trying to accomplish with that? That's not to say you can't, but do you really want to go through all that for some purpose that you might not accomplish?

When you get a new TV, if you want to register the remote with it, the menu system allows that. In the meantime, if you don't want to control the volume with the remote, don't attempt to control the volume with the remote.

Perhaps describing the actual issue you're encountering or what you're hoping to be able to do might clarify on how to get you the best experience with your device.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

If it cannot detect your tv it does display a search so you can lookup your manufacturer. But no, you cannot turn off roku (only roku 4 had that feature as it had a fan inside). 
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

On the TV with my Roku Ultra I use a power strip that has an option to turn off a plug when the TV is off. So the Roku turns on when I turn on the TV only,
On my other TV I have a Roku Stick+ powered by the TV's usb port that powers off when the TV turns off,
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
Guitarstar
Level 7

A couple of times I've pushed the top button on the Roku remote thinking it's the top mute button on another remote and I've turned off my TV instead. I thought maybe I could set it back to nothing, or to control the Roku (if that's how it comes out of the box, not sure). In any case, it's not a life or death sort of thing, just curious about how you get the original menu to back come up, or what to do if the TV is updated at some later date.  Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos