Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra - Point Anywhere Remote - is unreliable in issuing/following commands

I have a reliability problem with my Roku Ultra Point Anywhere Remote - and it seems to be getting worse.  It misses commands, commands are delayed, often it goes into a command repeat mode (issues same command many times (like a stuck button) and sometimes even turns the TV ON a few seconds after it has been turned OFF - without pressing the ON/OFF remote button.

The remote seems to be caching and/or multiplying and/or ignoring button commands.  

I've tried everything:  restarting Ultra, re-pairing, battery check, changing 2.4 gHZ <> with 5 GHz, changing WiFi channels, etc.  Nothing improves the performance.  Yet the phone app works reliably, but it's not convenient and won't ON/OFF the TV.  

Any ideas?  

Warranty replacement?  ........yet the Roku website is frustratingly obscure on warranty replacement of the remote.

Help!?!?!?  My wife is blaming me for this conversion to Roku.

Doug

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra - Point Anywhere Remote - is unreliable in issuing/following commands

While it's certainly possible the remote has an issue, and if you're still under warranty I would recommend getting a replacement, it also sounds like it could be a WiFi interference issue. Unfortunately, the way the remote decides what WiFi channel to use, it follows whatever the wireless setting the Roku itself uses. So sometimes it's being interfered with by itself. Smiley Happy

You've tried different channels. I believe the remote just uses 2.4 GHz, so if the Roku is using 5 GHz that would remove itself from the equation. You didn't mention, but have you moved the Ultra around at all? At the frequencies WiFi uses, moving the player a few inches could make all the difference if it's external interference. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - Point Anywhere Remote - is unreliable in issuing/following commands

I really wonder whether the remote communicates via WiFi >>>  My Cisco/Linksys router network mapping does not show the remote's MAC address as either active or off-line (was active) for either of my Ultra; the Ultra unit MAC is shown on the network map.  I've never had to "log in" my remote to my WiFi with a password.  Could the remote actually use RF?  ......whereas my phone app uses WiFi???

Doug/Desert Hiker

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Desert_Hiker wrote:

I really wonder whether the remote communicates via WiFi >>>  My Cisco/Linksys router network mapping does not show the remote's MAC address as either active or off-line (was active) for either of my Ultra; the Ultra unit MAC is shown on the network map.  I've never had to "log in" my remote to my WiFi with a password.  Could the remote actually use RF?  ......whereas my phone app uses WiFi???

Doug/Desert Hiker

WiFi is RF. Your router doesn't see it because it's a direct connection between the remote and the Roku. It doesn't use your network at all. You phone app does use the network connection between the phone and the Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My working understanding has been that the WiFi selects (auto) or the WiFi admin stipulates the respective channels for 2.4 & 5 gHz bands.....not that a client device (e.g. the Roku remote) gets to choose a channel either as an individual setting or for each transmission.  No??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

OK.  I understand that WiFi is an RF signal.  Roku uses RF but not through my WiFi system.   I was using WiFi in the context of the classic deployment of a private administered network - and not just general use of the RF band for device communications.  My  shade controllers communicate directly to my shades using an open/permitted RF band for low power communications not through my personal WiFi router-managed system.  Is it technically correct to say that Roku uses WiFi or best to describe it as RF for clarity?

Doug

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Desert_Hiker wrote:

OK.  I understand that WiFi is an RF signal.  Roku uses RF but not through my WiFi system.   I was using WiFi in the context of the classic deployment of a private administered network - and not just general use of the RF band for device communications.  My  shade controllers communicate directly to my shades using an open/permitted RF band for low power communications not through my personal WiFi router-managed system.  Is it technically correct to say that Roku uses WiFi or best to describe it as RF for clarity?

Doug

RF is simply an abbreviation for Radio Frequency. Virtually everything without mass is RF, even light. Roku uses the term WiFi-Direct because the remote and Roku device use the same frequencies and protocols as the 802.11 specification that governs WiFi communications. But they are completely independent from any nearby WiFi network. You could be out in the ocean with no WiFi within 500 miles, but the remote would still control the Roku.

Your shade control might also be using the same frequencies as WiFi, or could be on some other frequency band. As you mention, wherever it's operating is considered an open use, unlicensed operation, and you have to accept any interference from other wireless devices, especially something being operated under an FCC license.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the exact same issues. I am also seeing that the remote pretty much needs to be pointing at the Roku as well. I know I have the right remote because of the pairing button so don’t blame that. 
I want a warranty replacement option. I don’t want to pay $30 for their hardware failure. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@jwo4life710 wrote:

I am having the exact same issues. I am also seeing that the remote pretty much needs to be pointing at the Roku as well. I know I have the right remote because of the pairing button so don’t blame that. 
I want a warranty replacement option. I don’t want to pay $30 for their hardware failure. 

Send a private message to @RokuDanny-R with your device serial number and your account information. He can get you in contact with customer service. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Current wifi remotes when not paired to a roku or if the roku it is paired with in unplugged it will switch to IR commands for the roku commands. So if you haven't paired it to roku yourself, it might not be in wifi mode and is controlling your roku by IR. 

Edmund
0 Kudos