Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Jump to solution

(Regarding Roku Ultra)

I'm not sure I understand this, am I right in that there is no way to power off my TV?

The Roku already knew enough (either by EDID or something else crafty) to recognize my TV well enough to have the side volume buttons control the TV directly, but there is no power button?

Can I reprogram either the A or B?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dwhelm
Visitor

Re: Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Jump to solution

I had this issue but this instruction solved my problem. You have to find the code that controls both power and volume.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... -on-my-tv-

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
48 REPLIES 48
Bacon
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
Using hdmi CEC mine turns the TV on with no problem but it does not turn it off. I always press the home button when i finish using the device since I find this is more likely to allow it to sleep.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
"Bacon" wrote:
They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 

That would be a reasonable solution. Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? For myself, I'll power everything up with the Roku remote, and then use the TV remote to power everything off. That works for both my Panasonic and Samsung TV, both with Yamaha AVRs. Neither AVR can be volume controlled with the Roku remote, so I have to have the TV remote handy anyway (since the TV remote does control the AVR volume).
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 
0 Kudos
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
"mikebdoss" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 

I think so too.  Actually, it was among the first things I tried since it seemed so intuitive somehow.  I wonder if a remote firmware update is possible in the future....

Not having a way to turn off the TV directly definitely violates the "Law of Least Surprise" IMO.

I suppose I'll have to look into getting the SideClick.
0 Kudos
Ethrex
Visitor

Roku enhanced remote controls TV volume but not power

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently bought a Roku Enhanced Remote for my in-laws TV. They have an 52LG70 (LG brand TV, about 10 years old). Anyway, after pairing the remote, I went through the wizard to find the right code. The wizard muted the music at the first remote code. But when completing the wizard I tested the power button and it wouldn't power the TV on or off. So I went through all other codes using the wizard, and many of the remote codes muted the music but after testing the power none of them powered the TV. It took a while to test as there was about 50 remote codes it went through and I had to start over each time.

So upon searching the internet I found out about the Platform Secret Screen. I made my way down to the RF Remote Universal IR Menu where it shows a screen with this in the header:
Total TV brands: 1776, region: Default (US)
Detected brand: 065C 'LG' (as TV)
Codeset: 0002 (1/49)

And then the options on the menu are:
* Xmit Volume Mute
* Xmit Volume Up
* Xmit Volume Down
* Xmit Power Toggle
* Next Codeset
* Use this Codeset (and update remote)
* View Database Versions
* Cancel

So I tried selecting Xmit Volume Mute/Up/Down and they all worked. But to my surprise, when I select Xmit Power Toggle, it worked! So that tells me the code selected I have should work, but when pressing the physical button on the remote it doesn't trigger the power toggle. So now I thought well maybe the physical remote button is defective. So I go to the Remote Button Presses screen to test the power button on the remote. When I press it, the log shows something like this for each button press:
Power p WD 0
43ms Power r WD 0

The remote code turns off the TV through software, the remote code is applied to the remote, the power button is detecting button presses, but the remote doesn't send the signal to the TV. Even if I get really close the TV IR receiver it doesn't work.

The standard remote which comes with the LG TV works fine.

Anybody know what I can do to get this to work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ethrex
Visitor

Re: Roku enhanced remote controls TV volume but not power

Jump to solution
Okay. So I also got them a Roku Streaming Stick for their other room, and that device comes with an enhanced remote as well (it just doesn't have the A and B buttons). Just to test, I paired that remote with the Roku connected to the 52LG70 and that remote powers the TV on and off! Again I thought maybe the first remote is defective, so I paired the first one to the Roku Streaming Stick and that first remote powers a Panasonic TV. So the enhanced remote which comes with the Roku Streaming Stick is able to power both TVs, but the enhanced remote which I specifically bought from roku.com only powers the Panasonic. In any case, they don't intend to use the gaming A and B buttons so this setup works for them, but there is still clearly a bug in the enhanced remote you can buy on roku.com.
0 Kudos
Dwhelm
Visitor

Jump to solution

I had this issue but this instruction solved my problem. You have to find the code that controls both power and volume.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... -on-my-tv-

0 Kudos
rigogs
Visitor

Jump to solution
it powers my Panasonic ON but will NOT turn OFF, first Roku box I had no issues, so got another as my son wanted one for his bedroom and this new one no OFF, got replacement from Amazon--no OFF.  Will keep trying other sound on-off from setup and see if one of those work--had tried a few and it did not make a difference, will have to make notes,
0 Kudos