Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
all2ears
Level 8

Roku Ultra IR Remote Compatibility

Jump to solution

Since Hulu is finally streaming in 5.1 audio looks like the time has come to cut the cable - My gear set up uses a Phillips Pronto tsu9400 IR learning remote - It's an older remote but I have all my components and macros programed into it (Epson Overhead projector, McIntosh Processor, Opp, Auralic etc) -Two questions please:

First my current Roku is a Model #2 4210r on firmware 9.2 and I'm told that won't be capable of decoding Hulu 5.1 audio -  Since i already have an Ethernet connection available from the Roku #2  I figured go with the Ultra model .....will the IR remote Roku codes work with the Ultra ?                  

Second I could go with a Roku wireless if there would be a quality improvement as long as IR compatibility isn't compromised - Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help ... this community continues to be a terrific resource

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
all2ears
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra IR Remote Compatibility

Jump to solution

Wanted to share an update on my upgrade from q Roku 2 to the Roku Ultra

The Roku Ultra is hardwired to my Router - My signal chain is Ultra / WireWorld HDMI Cable / McIntosh Mx150 - The Ultra did give me 5.1 audio on Hulu - Like the Roku 2 there is also 5.1 audio on Netflix and Amazon Prime - A few points of note:

1 - On the Roku settings Audio Mode Menu you must select Auto or it defaults to stereo

2 - On the Roku settings HDMI Menu you must select Auto or it defaults to stereo

3 - During playback of a steam if you push the * button you'll get a pop up menu for listening modes - All modes must be turned off (line leveling, night time etc) or it defaults to stereo - Explain this in detail to you wife to save a few hours of frustration

4 - Amazon has a few quirks - It's volume is 32% higher than the other streaming channels (tested against my Roku 2 so it is definitely the Ultra) - The Roku 2 IR codes in my TSU9400 Remote don't work but when I learned the Ultra codes all is fine

5 - There may be  a "break in" period depending on your application - On my Sony Bedroom TV I didn't notice it but in my home theater it was obvious for an evening - As with most components it will depend on your DAC  .... bottom line in 4 or 5 hours it is resolved

Bottom line is I would buy it again .... in fact I did for the extra bedroom - Also had a few friends who upgraded - Been with Roku for 10 years and they always delight  

PS ---- I've ditched Spectrum TV (kept their internet service) and signed up for Hulu Live - The channel line up is similar but audio, video and DVR are both a big step up - I'm also saving  $80 a month

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, the Roku Ultra responds to standard Roku IR commands. Even though it  comes with wifi remote. If you were to unplug the ultra for a bit, its remote would switch to to IR and then could be used to program the pronto. Plugging the ultra back in and its remote is wifi again. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
all2ears
Level 8

Jump to solution

WOW ... that was quick but so I am clear since my Pronto already has the Roku#2 commands it should already operate the Ultra - Is that correct ?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Yes, Roku IR hasn't changed, so yes it would work with roku 2 commands.

Edmund

0 Kudos
all2ears
Level 8

Jump to solution

Wanted to share an update on my upgrade from q Roku 2 to the Roku Ultra

The Roku Ultra is hardwired to my Router - My signal chain is Ultra / WireWorld HDMI Cable / McIntosh Mx150 - The Ultra did give me 5.1 audio on Hulu - Like the Roku 2 there is also 5.1 audio on Netflix and Amazon Prime - A few points of note:

1 - On the Roku settings Audio Mode Menu you must select Auto or it defaults to stereo

2 - On the Roku settings HDMI Menu you must select Auto or it defaults to stereo

3 - During playback of a steam if you push the * button you'll get a pop up menu for listening modes - All modes must be turned off (line leveling, night time etc) or it defaults to stereo - Explain this in detail to you wife to save a few hours of frustration

4 - Amazon has a few quirks - It's volume is 32% higher than the other streaming channels (tested against my Roku 2 so it is definitely the Ultra) - The Roku 2 IR codes in my TSU9400 Remote don't work but when I learned the Ultra codes all is fine

5 - There may be  a "break in" period depending on your application - On my Sony Bedroom TV I didn't notice it but in my home theater it was obvious for an evening - As with most components it will depend on your DAC  .... bottom line in 4 or 5 hours it is resolved

Bottom line is I would buy it again .... in fact I did for the extra bedroom - Also had a few friends who upgraded - Been with Roku for 10 years and they always delight  

PS ---- I've ditched Spectrum TV (kept their internet service) and signed up for Hulu Live - The channel line up is similar but audio, video and DVR are both a big step up - I'm also saving  $80 a month

View solution in original post

gurnebj
Level 7

Jump to solution

That solved the problem for me on my Pronto TSU 7000.  Thanks very much

0 Kudos
Hildeiv
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Yes, the Roku Ultra responds to standard Roku IR commands. Even though it  comes with wifi remote. If you were to unplug the ultra for a bit, its remote would switch to to IR and then could be used to program the pronto. Plugging the ultra back in and its remote is wifi again. 

Not all IR remotes are compatible with the Roku Ultra though. Anyone know of one which is compatible with the Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The only Roku IR remotes that aren't compatible are Roku TV IR remotes. If the roku remote doesn't have tv power key and volume keys its an IR that IS compatible with ultra. 

Roku sells the simple IR roku remote for $14.99, second one down on this page:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund

0 Kudos
Hildeiv
Level 8

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Flotenspieler
Level 8

Jump to solution

My cheap Inteset universal remote works fine with my Roku Ultra. Among the better universal remotes I have had, despite the negligible cost.

0 Kudos