Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vanhan88

Roku TV IR remote not working

Jump to solution

I work within a Supportive Living Facility and one of our residents has a Hisense roku TV.

Her remote stopped working. I changed the batteries and watched a few videos on YouTube showing how to get the IR remote back up and running. This did not work.

I ordered a replacement remote and it too did not work. 

I downloaded the Roku app and I can control the TV with my iPhone, but this resident does not have access to a smart phone. She needs her simple remote back. 

Is it the TV sensor? What is going on here? The TV was purchased in 2019. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV IR remote not working

Jump to solution

IR is really very simple. But you must ensure that nothing is blocking the IR receiver window on the TV. I can't say exactly where it is on a Hisense, but it's likely somewhere along the bottom of the screen. Perhaps a tissue box or something has been placed in front of the TV.

You can test the remote by viewing the emitter on the remote through a digital camera, such as your phone. If you see a flashing light when you press the button, then it's working. 

If you didn't specifically order a Roku TV remote (instead just a "standard" Roku remote), it won't control a TV. They have a different set of IR codes between players and TVs. But you can test the original remote as I mentioned to ensure it's working correctly.

If the remote is functioning correctly, and there's nothing blocking the IR receiver window, then it sounds like there's an issue with the TV. I don't know what the warranty period is for a Hisense TV, but they are the ones that you would have to contact. Roku only provides the operating system, and is not responsible for the TV hardware itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

IR is really very simple. But you must ensure that nothing is blocking the IR receiver window on the TV. I can't say exactly where it is on a Hisense, but it's likely somewhere along the bottom of the screen. Perhaps a tissue box or something has been placed in front of the TV.

You can test the remote by viewing the emitter on the remote through a digital camera, such as your phone. If you see a flashing light when you press the button, then it's working. 

If you didn't specifically order a Roku TV remote (instead just a "standard" Roku remote), it won't control a TV. They have a different set of IR codes between players and TVs. But you can test the original remote as I mentioned to ensure it's working correctly.

If the remote is functioning correctly, and there's nothing blocking the IR receiver window, then it sounds like there's an issue with the TV. I don't know what the warranty period is for a Hisense TV, but they are the ones that you would have to contact. Roku only provides the operating system, and is not responsible for the TV hardware itself. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Anja1988

Jump to solution

Hello! I’m replying to you after you replied to another question related to the Roku Remote App in an assisted living. You seem to know your stuff so I thought I’d ask you. So I downloaded the actual Roku Remote App since my actual Roku remote died at the hands of my wild Tarzan Hulk Toddler. And I literally had no issues setting it up and it’s been working fine since (I set up the Remote App about 2 months ago.) So, come to today we connected , and watched a few shows, I even have had the Roku Remote App downloaded to my other child’s Tablet (for about 2months now) well the show was on and my other child left once his Gma got here to take them to karate so I put tablet in his back pack. So I turned off TV and then bathed my toddler. Once toddler was out and clean about 45 minutes later from turning it off we turned tv on, and it wouldn’t connect the remote to my WiFi and then after 20 minutes of trying to connect and do some research online, a pop up came up on the Roku remote App. Then shortly after my WiFi has a pop up saying “can not connect to ———— (which had my WiFi name). Then I kept trying to connect to the Roku Remote App and then I received a pop up there that says: “IP address not supported. We have detected that your device is currently connected to a public IP address that is not supported. Please ensure that both your mobile phone and device have an IP Address in one of the following ranges.” (And then there’s a bunch of numbers and dots obvious examples of IP addresses.) however, my WiFi will allow me to connect to my WiFi and then suddenly will have a pop up saying “can not connect to ——- (my WiFi name). And also my WiFi account app says my Internet is fine with no issues and I even Trouble shot as well as restarted it. And it also shows that the roku is connected to my WiFi, so clearly it’s just my WiFi and Remote App that are having issues connecting together. Do you have any insight? Sorry for the long novel I am frustrated this has been hours. Thank You! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just caught me as I was heading to bed. 😄

IP addresses are assigned by your home Internet router in most all cases. If this router is controlled by a cable or Telco company, they might have changed your internal IP address range. Most home networks are assigned an IP address in the range of 192.168.x.x, although there are two other private address ranges but aren't usually configured in a home environment. The Roku app will only work on a private IP addressed network. 

Now, there's another clue with your issue. When your phone said it could no longer connect to your home WiFi (based on that message you provided) it reverted to its cellular network connection, which does not use a private IP address range. So, the phone must be connected to your home WiFi network for the app to see your Roku and control it. You need to resolve the issue you have connecting to your home WiFi to get the Roku app working again.

Dan

0 Kudos
Gradfool1

Jump to solution

I just read your reply to the oriinal posts from back in April. My TCL ROKU TV has an IR remote problem as well.  Earlier today eveythin was working fine. I tried to change from Antenna TV to SLING, but it froze. I have relaced the batteries, unplugged the TV and waited, There are no obstructions as it is Wall Mounted and I am sitting directly in front of it. I don't think that there is  an IP problem since the TV in the kitchen is the same model and is working fine. I also don't think that it related to the current UPDATE issue.  I tried your previous idea of pointing the remote at the camera on my  phone and didn't any flashes. Does this mean that we need to replace this remote? If so how do I get a replacement? Can I order it seperately and from TCL or ROKU?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If you see no flashes then IR remote is faulty and has to be replaced. Roku only supplies UI for roku tv's, you have take it up tv manufacturer. Roku sells wifi remotes that would pair with your roku tv, but no IR remotes. You can get Roku tv IR remotes from ebay and amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Applicable-32S4610R-50FS3750-32FS4610R/dp/B078T633Q9/ref=sr_1_3?c...

A roku remote with four discrete channel keys right under each other in column, and it has power key then for sure its roku tv IR remote. Other roku tv IR remotes have crescent moon key and power & volume keys are for sure roku tv IR remotes. 

The following roku tv brands all use the same code, tcl, insignia, jvc, haier, hitachi, philips, magnavox, westinghouse, sanyo, element, rca, and onn. If you have any of the above then stay away from Hisense & Sharp roku tv remotes which use a different code set. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos