Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

"jawsfree" wrote:
I am going to get the new TCL 6-series 65R615 or 65R617. The only difference between the two, according to a TCL phone call, is one has the enhanced remote RC580 and the other has the RC280. I was told by TCL support that you can't use the enhanced remote on the 65R615. My problem is that I can't find the 65R617 locally, only available on Amazon. I priced them out:
Amazon 65R617 $999.97 with enhanced remote
Best Buy 65R615 $969.99 without enhanced remote

Is the enhanced remote worth the $30.00 and the wait, approximately 1 week? 

Have you looked at the 65R615 in Best Buy? I mean actually gone to Best Buy and looked at it? You should be able to see the remote there in store. When I look at that TV on the Best Buy Website, the remote showing there looks like the enhanced remote.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jawsfree
Level 7

No haven't been to best buy yet. I will head there later today and see. I am just frustrated that all the info they have on the tv itself but info on the remote function and capabilities is limited. I can't even find any reviews of the enhanced remote in use on youtube.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"pduves" wrote:
Is the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' (model RC193 aka RC-AL4) compatible with TCL 55p605 TV? (Short answer is "semi-compatible" per below...) If not, is it a software or hardware limitation/issue? Does an OTA software update on the TV or remote allow voice search functionality?

Just purchased a TCL 55p605 Roku TV from Best Buy last weekend, as well as the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' from Roku website (model RC193 per Roku website; model RC-AL4 as written behind battery cover on physical remote). The remote syncs with the p605 tv, most buttons work, BUT the following buttons/commands are NOT working/functioning properly: voice search, asterisk (*), app/channel buttons (Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and CBS All Access), and A & B buttons. No response what-so-ever from these buttons.

The main reason I purchased this remote was for the voice search ability, but, as far as I can tell, this remote function is NOT compatible with the p605.

Couple things I tried/considered already:

1. Per another thread on this forum titled New Roku remote control models,  the "Platform Secret Screen" can be accessed by pressing the following on the remote:

• Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF

• -> "RF Remote Menu"

2. When viewing this "Platform Secret Screen" on my p605 tv with RC193 remote connected, I do NOT see an option for voice search.

3. Here's the summary of my current software/hardware versions: 

• TV: Software 8.0.0, Build 4183

• Remote: model RC00, v 2.01.19.062, HW 0C

4. Because the RC193 remote is not entirely compatible with the TV, I think the TV is identifying the remote model number as "RC00".

Interesting, on your "RF Remote Menu" secret screen, do you see the line item "Enable/Disable full UI support for remote"?  (Usually 3rd from the bottom, between "Pairing Menu" and "Alert Menu")

Example below (different Roku devices and remotes show a few different line items, and I noticed that Roku OS software 8.1.0 has modified some of the secret menus):

If you have enabled "full UI support for remote", perhaps you could try re-pairing the remote?

Either by:
- restart the TV while holding down the remote pairing button a few secs (under battery cover until you see blinking LED)
- go to Settings > Remote > Pair remote, then hold down remote pairing button
- if you're still in the RF Remote Menu secret screen, select Pairing Menu > Enable Pairing Mode, then hold down remote pairing button
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"jawsfree" wrote:
I am going to get the new TCL 6-series 65R615 or 65R617. The only difference between the two, according to a TCL phone call, is one has the enhanced remote RC580 and the other has the RC280. I was told by TCL support that you can't use the enhanced remote on the 65R615.

It would be unfortunate if TCL or Roku has made new batches of enhanced remotes and some TV variants incompatible with each other, but FWIW that was always the official TCL spiel (that the 2017/2018 big-box store TV variants bundled with IR, won't work with enhanced remotes acquired separately).  Though, the TCL rep I spoke with wasn't bothered to hear the customer succeeds anyways.

On the other hand good find Basil, if BB has actually started to bundle their R615 with the enhanced remote.  Confusingly TCL's website still shows BB bundling IR -- see 65R615 vs 65R617 for example.

Sample pics below (though the shortcut buttons may change):

RC580 (slim enhanced remote, contoured buttons but no headphone jack, 2018 TCL's)

RC280 left (basic IR remote, both 2017 and 2018 TCL variants)
RC126 right (fat enhanced remote, headphone jack & remote finder, 2017 TCL's, TCL part number BRC64)

P.S.  It bears repeating that, unless TCL or Roku has recently changed something, a TCL TV can be paired with a Roku player enhanced remote (which might be cheaper or more available than a TCL enhanced remote, or you could already have one to spare).  Player remotes don't have a mute button though.

For example I like the 2017 slim player remote RC127 / RC150 (akin to the TCL RC580),

or the 2017 fat player remote RC193 / RC135 (akin to the TCL RC126 but with contoured buttons and additional A/B gaming buttons).

RC127 middle
RC135 right
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

This is strange.  I had a brief time with my first non-4K TCL Roku TV this week (last year's 1080p Costco model 43 S303, updated to firmware 8.1.0 and bundled with the basic IR remote).

There were also several existing RC127 Roku player slim Wi-Fi remotes in that house.

Unfortunately I could not pair any of those Wi-Fi remotes to this TCL.  The TV had the remote menu UI enabled and was in pairing mode, but would not detect any of the remotes with the blinking pairing light.  Wish I could've had more time to reboot and do further testing...

Perhaps the non-4K TV models have always been unable to pair Wi-Fi remotes?  They do have different (slower) hardware than the 4K TCL's, and there are no 1080p TCL model variant that comes with an enhanced remote.

Or, did a Roku firmware update actually remove Wi-Fi pairing support from any TCL model variant that's bundled with an IR remote?  Though we do have some 4K TCL big-box-store versions (such as a 75 C803) that can still pair with multiple different Wi-Fi remotes (no change in behavior spanning multiple firmware versions)...
0 Kudos
siskiou
Level 7

Hello,

I just purchased a TCL 49s403 at Costco.

Managed to pair our Roku 3 remote with it, to use the headphone jack, but I cannot bring up the "secret" rf remote control menu on the tv.
Under the "remote" menu in the settings, it only shows one remote (Model RC03), but both definitely work.

Does anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong?

Edited to add: got it to work, but usually have to try several times, at different speeds, to access that particular menu.
Others work the first time, but this one must be *super-secret*. Smiley Wink
Seems that everything was already activated out of the box.
0 Kudos