I am going to get the new TCL 6-series 65R615 or 65R617. The only difference between the two, according to a TCL phone call, is one has the enhanced remote RC580 and the other has the RC280. I was told by TCL support that you can't use the enhanced remote on the 65R615. My problem is that I can't find the 65R617 locally, only available on Amazon. I priced them out:
Amazon 65R617 $999.97 with enhanced remote
Best Buy 65R615 $969.99 without enhanced remote
Is the enhanced remote worth the $30.00 and the wait, approximately 1 week?
Is the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' (model RC193 aka RC-AL4) compatible with TCL 55p605 TV? (Short answer is "semi-compatible" per below...) If not, is it a software or hardware limitation/issue? Does an OTA software update on the TV or remote allow voice search functionality?
Just purchased a TCL 55p605 Roku TV from Best Buy last weekend, as well as the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' from Roku website (model RC193 per Roku website; model RC-AL4 as written behind battery cover on physical remote). The remote syncs with the p605 tv, most buttons work, BUT the following buttons/commands are NOT working/functioning properly: voice search, asterisk (*), app/channel buttons (Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and CBS All Access), and A & B buttons. No response what-so-ever from these buttons.
The main reason I purchased this remote was for the voice search ability, but, as far as I can tell, this remote function is NOT compatible with the p605.
Couple things I tried/considered already:
- Per another thread on this forum titled New Roku remote control models, the "Platform Secret Screen" can be accessed by pressing the following on the remote:
- Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
- -> "RF Remote Menu"
- When viewing this "Platform Secret Screen" on my p605 tv with RC193 remote connected, I do NOT see an option for voice search.
- Here's the summary of my current software/hardware versions:
- TV: Software 8.0.0, Build 4183
- Remote: model RC00, v 2.01.19.062, HW 0C
- Because the RC193 remote is not entirely compatible with the TV, I think the TV is identifying the remote model number as "RC00".
I am going to get the new TCL 6-series 65R615 or 65R617. The only difference between the two, according to a TCL phone call, is one has the enhanced remote RC580 and the other has the RC280. I was told by TCL support that you can't use the enhanced remote on the 65R615.