Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beq
Level 8

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

"beq (paraphrased)" wrote:
Some TCL Roku TV models (ex. P605, C803, S series) are bundled with the $18 Amazon customer who ordered the $18 RC280 seems to have received the RC126 TCL enhanced remote instead.  If true would make this the best deal.

I can't decide between the TCL RC126 and Roku RC135 though.  The former has mute button, but the latter feels better with matte finish and contoured buttons that are more differentiated and spread out.  The latter's flat back is also more stable in the hand and on the table, while the battery cover seems to creak less.

I also pair the smaller Roku RC127 as a second remote for the wife.  It's much lighter with a slim design using AAA vs AA (the smaller battery capacity can still last awhile without the headphone amp and remote finder features).  Otherwise it feels just like the RC135.

P.S.  More remote comparison pics here.
0 Kudos
bradoz7
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
I got that Costco 55C803 for a family member.  As you know it's the same TV as the C807, but the Costco variant was on sale for $250 cheaper while at the same time providing free 4yr extended warranty.  Only difference, the C803 is bundled with a RC280 TCL basic IR remote which has clackety buttons, easy to get blocked, and lacks the voice control, headphone jack and remote finder features (compared to the enhanced Wi-Fi remote).

But you can still pair the C803 with the TCL enhanced TV remote (Amazon $60) -- or the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote ($30) from 2017 Ultra if you don't need the mute button.

The C803 initially hides the UI menu that deals with Wi-Fi remotes, but it'll show up after the first boot-up pairing, or if you manually toggle it:

Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "Enable full UI support for remote"

"beq" wrote:

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes

BTW the $30 RC135 "Enhanced Voice Remote" (from 2017 Ultra) can serve as a cheaper replacement for a RC126 (aka BRC64) TCL Roku TV enhanced remote.

The TV controls, voice, headphone and remote finder all work.  It just sacrifices the TCL remote's mute button for A/B gaming buttons (and a few other differences such as button shapes/placement, matte vs glossy front, flat vs rounded back, etc).

Or get the $20 RC127 "Streaming Stick Voice Remote" (from 2017 Stick) if you just need the TV buttons and voice commands.  Ditto for the RC150 remote from the Stick+.

What's interesting is that once paired, these new remotes' power and volume buttons work on the Roku TV set via Wi-Fi instead of IR, just like the original TCL enhanced remote.  IR not even an option in this case.

Thank you SO much Beq for answering what seemed the most hard to find info , most info stated that 55c803 just was NOT capable of using the Enhanced remote but I just couldn't believe they would have had a different Hardware variant of the c80x hardware JUST to disable the wireless remote audio while keeping it in the firmware for use with a iOS device with client software.... 
This make it a no-brainer to get the c803 @ Costco for $399 and just add the Enhanced remote separately , THANK YOU !!!

Question please to someone who actually knows a lot on this set:
Can a user have MORE than just ONE Enhanced remote (with headphones on the remote) ?
I want to have TWO simultaneously working if possible, one Enhanced remote for Me in the Bedroom and separate one for my wife in the same room ?

I assume if the Enhanced remote with Headphone capability works via WIFI , this means even IF the TV is connected via "hardwired" Ethernet that the WIFI the remote uses must be the Home access point , SO , in the bedroom where the WIFI is not super great , I should aim at getting BETTER WIFI coverage via repeater/extender if the remote is to function at it's best for Headphones right ?
(ie. I doubt if the TV broadcasts it's "own" WIFI access point just for the Enhanced remote with headphones to use ? )
I was wondering previously if THAT may have been the difference of the c807 model , but it seems clear now the difference is "only" the bundled accessories and default config of those Accessories ?

As a side note: I bought the 55s405 model for use at my Office as a utility monitor (ie not as a TV) and it seems the only difference in the various 55s40x models was the type of stands , as I wall mounted it anyhow , it did not make any difference to me. Just would be good if TCL made it super clear on the Manufacturers official website what the model number differences actually were up-front...
0 Kudos
bradoz7
Level 7

Seems the on-line shopping supplies of RC126 (aka BRC64) TCL Roku TV enhanced remote have dried up , anyone know of a source where to get this model remote online please ?.

Many thanks in advance,
best regards,
Brad
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Hehe I had the same questions as you.

"bradoz7" wrote:
Can a user have MORE than just ONE Enhanced remote (with headphones on the remote) ?
I want to have TWO simultaneously working if possible, one Enhanced remote for Me in the Bedroom and separate one for my wife in the same room ?

Yes you can pair multiple enhanced (Wi-Fi) remotes to one Roku.  Only the 2 most recently active will be listed in the Roku menu, but I've had 3 or 4 Wi-Fi remotes paired at the same time (not sure what the limit is).  And of course, you can also use any number of IR remotes at the same time on any non-Stick Roku device (but these remotes won't show up in the Roku menu).  Plus any number of phones using the Roku mobile app...

For example:  

This is showing RC126 and RC135, but I also had a 3rd Wi-Fi remote paired (an RC127).  If I press a button on the 3rd remote, it would move up the list and show in the Roku menu.

All paired remotes work just fine including voice input, and the "Find remote" menu option sends the locator signal to all remotes (with the beeper) as expected.  But only one private listening session can be active at a time.  So if I have headpnones connected to the RC126, RC135, and the Roku mobile app on my phone, I can only toggle 1 out of the 3.

"bradoz7" wrote:
I assume if the Enhanced remote with Headphone capability works via WIFI , this means even IF the TV is connected via "hardwired" Ethernet that the WIFI the remote uses must be the Home access point , SO , in the bedroom where the WIFI is not super great , I should aim at getting BETTER WIFI coverage via repeater/extender if the remote is to function at it's best for Headphones right ?
(ie. I doubt if the TV broadcasts it's "own" WIFI access point just for the Enhanced remote with headphones to use ? )

See your bolded part Smiley Happy  Roku actually uses "Wi-Fi Direct" for its enhanced remotes which, as the name implies, is a direct connection between the Roku and remote (not reliant on the infrastructure Wi-Fi).  That's why a couple minutes after booting a Roku, you might have seen a Wi-Fi SSID named "DIRECT-roku-###".

In contrast, the Roku mobile app on your phone communicates via the home Wi-Fi network, so mobile private listening will be affected by weak signal.  That's also why listening via your phone takes longer to start vs listening via the remote headphone jack.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"bradoz7" wrote:
Seems the on-line shopping supplies of RC126 (aka BRC64) TCL Roku TV enhanced remote have dried up , anyone know of a source where to get this model remote online please ?.

I got extra RC126/BRC64 TCL remotes (the Amazon stock seems to go up and down), but honestly they're being supplanted in my family by the new Roku remotes which, at half the price or less, feel better in the hand and have easier contoured buttons.  Guess I've gotten used to not having a Mute button, and just mashing Volume Down if I need to.

In fact some really like holding the slim RC127 in lieu of something heavier, despite not having a headphone jack.  They either don't use private listening, or listen via wireless AirPods on the iPhone, or can fall back to the RC135 which is usually also paired.

See also:

"beq" wrote:
BTW one Amazon customer who ordered the $18 RC280 TCL basic IR remote seems to have received the $60 RC126 TCL Wi-Fi remote instead?

I can't decide between the TCL RC126 and Roku RC135 though.  The former has mute button, but the latter feels better with matte finish and contoured buttons that are more differentiated and spread out.  The latter's flat back is also more stable in the hand and on the table, while the battery cover seems to creak less.

I also pair the smaller Roku RC127 as a second remote for the wife.  It's much lighter with a slim design using AAA vs AA (the smaller battery capacity can still last awhile without the headphone amp and remote finder features).  Otherwise it feels just like the RC135.

P.S.  More remote comparison pics here.
0 Kudos
darkew
Level 7

Can anyone confirm that the "Roku Enhanced Advanced Remote" works on the TCL P605? Looking for a wifi replacement for my IR remote.

When I add to the cart, it says RC193, and not RC135.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Yeah the new remote model RC193 just changes the 4th channel shortcut button from the RC135 (from HBO Now to CBS All Access), but otherwise identical.

See here.

P.S.  BTW it looks like the 2018 TCL Roku TV enhanced remote (for the 6-Series and 5-Series TV sets) now copies the Streaming Stick voice remote [RC127] in being a slim design without headphone jack or remote finder, and even down to the 4th channel shortcut button being DirecTV Now?  Also adopts the new contoured button shapes. Of course, one benefit of TCL remotes is the mute side button, which Roku player remotes don't have.

I wonder when it can be purchased separately?
0 Kudos
darkew
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
Yeah the new remote model RC193 just changes the 4th channel shortcut button from the RC135 (from HBO Now to CBS All Access), but otherwise identical.

See here.

Thank you. Buying the 193 then. Appreciate it!

P.S.  BTW it looks like the 2018 TCL Roku TV enhanced remote (for the 6-Series and 5-Series TV sets) now copies the Streaming Stick voice remote [RC127] in being a slim design without headphone jack or remote finder, and even down to the 4th channel shortcut button being DirecTV Now?  Also adopts the new contoured button shapes. Of course, one benefit of TCL remotes is the mute side button, which Roku player remotes don't have.

I wonder when it can be purchased separately?
0 Kudos
pduves
Level 7

"darkew" wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the "Roku Enhanced Advanced Remote" works on the TCL P605? Looking for a wifi replacement for my IR remote.

When I add to the cart, it says RC193, and not RC135.

Thank you!

Hello, first post on Roku forums...
Same question as darkew had... Is the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' (model RC193 aka RC-AL4) compatible with TCL 55p605 TV? (Short answer is "semi-compatible" per below...) If not, is it a software or hardware limitation/issue? Does an OTA software update on the TV or remote allow voice search functionality?

Just purchased a TCL 55p605 Roku TV from Best Buy last weekend, as well as the 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' from Roku website (model RC193 per Roku website; model RC-AL4 as written behind battery cover on physical remote). The remote syncs with the p605 tv, most buttons work, BUT the following buttons/commands are NOT working/functioning properly: voice search, asterisk (*), app/channel buttons (Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and CBS All Access), and A & B buttons. No response what-so-ever from these buttons.

The main reason I purchased this remote was for the voice search ability, but, as far as I can tell, this remote function is NOT compatible with the p605.

Couple things I tried/considered already:

1. Per another thread on this forum titled New Roku remote control models,  the "Platform Secret Screen" can be accessed by pressing the following on the remote:

• Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF

• -> "RF Remote Menu"

2. When viewing this "Platform Secret Screen" on my p605 tv with RC193 remote connected, I do NOT see an option for voice search.

3. Here's the summary of my current software/hardware versions: 

• TV: Software 8.0.0, Build 4183

• Remote: model RC00, v 2.01.19.062, HW 0C

4. Because the RC193 remote is not entirely compatible with the TV, I think the TV is identifying the remote model number as "RC00".

5. (NOTE: I think the two model numbers (RC193 and RC-AL4) are due to Roku and TCL assigning their own model numbers for the same remote.)

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to update this forum with any progress!
0 Kudos
jawsfree
Level 7

I am going to get the new TCL 6-series 65R615 or 65R617. The only difference between the two, according to a TCL phone call, is one has the enhanced remote RC580 and the other has the RC280. I was told by TCL support that you can't use the enhanced remote on the 65R615. My problem is that I can't find the 65R617 locally, only available on Amazon. I priced them out:
Amazon 65R617 $999.97 with enhanced remote
Best Buy 65R615 $969.99 without enhanced remote

Is the enhanced remote worth the $30.00 and the wait, approximately 1 week? 
0 Kudos