Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

"pope411" wrote:
Just wanted to follow up on this, I got the remote I ordered direct from Roku and it did pair with the TCL TV.  Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, there are a couple differences between this and the original.

- It does have the headphone jack, which is what I wanted, and it works
- It does have a microphone button for voice search, but I have yet to get it to work, the TV responds but then just spins and never recognizes what I say.
- There is no mute button on this remote.  Not a deal killer, but if you use mute a lot like I do, kinda a bummer.
- Although it does have an ON/OFF button, if the TV has been off for awhile, it will not turn the TV on.  It will turn it off off, or on if you recently turned it off.  Sometime I am going to look into.

For now, I keep both remotes around, the original for most use cause it turns is on and has the mute button, and the Enhanced for night when I want to listen on the headphones w/o needing to use a smartphone.

This is because the TV turns off the Wifi connection while sleeping.  If/When you get v8 there is a menu setting for "Fast Start", enable that and your TV will always stay connected and should fix the issue with the On/Off button.
Thanks for the research.  Been thinking about getting one.  Going from the old "Point Anywhere" style to IR kinda sucks.
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
This is because the TV turns off the Wifi connection while sleeping.  If/When you get v8 there is a menu setting for "Fast Start", enable that and your TV will always stay connected and should fix the issue with the On/Off button.

Oh good news, can you elaborate on what v8 is and where that setting is? Is it in the normal setting menu or do I have to get there through the secret setting menu?
TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
Does anyone know of any enhanced remote that will pair with the TCL 40" (40S30)?

I'm guessing the one I got that beq suggested would work, with the exceptions I listed, it works with my 55S403 
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"pope411" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:

Oh good news, can you elaborate on what v8 is and where that setting is? Is it in the normal setting menu or do I have to get there through the secret setting menu?

Sorry "Version 8" which is releasing in batches to different devices.  You'll get it "Eventually" if you don't already have it.  The setting is in Settings->System->Power->Fast Start  It basically leaves the TV in an always ready state.
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Thank you! I have v8 and was able to select FastStart. Also found a new setting to turn off LED indicator which bugged me. This is such a sweet setup now!
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"pope411" wrote:
- It does have a microphone button for voice search, but I have yet to get it to work, the TV responds but then just spins and never recognizes what I say.
- There is no mute button on this remote.  Not a deal killer, but if you use mute a lot like I do, kinda a bummer.
- Although it does have an ON/OFF button, if the TV has been off for awhile, it will not turn the TV on.  It will turn it off off, or on if you recently turned it off.  Sometime I am going to look into.

Good that you already have Roku OS 8 with Fast TV Start, to respond while "off".

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it more clear that the Roku player remotes won't have a mute button, unlike the TCL Roku TV remote.

Hmm, I didn't have a problem doing voice search from Roku player remotes paired to our C807/C803 TCL TV's.  Have you tried doing system restart on the TV, and taking the remote batteries out and back in (there's also a remote reboot option from the secret screen)?
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Figured out voice search, you gotta hold the button the whole time while you talk. Stupid move on my part not reading on screen directions.

I'm all set now, can live without to he mute button, everything else an upgrade.

Thanks.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
Rok
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
Wow I like your research into all the TCL Roku TV prices last month Smiley Happy

I ended up getting that Costco 55C803 for a family member.  As you know it's the same TV as the C807, but the Costco variant was on sale for $250 cheaper while at the same time providing free 4yr extended warranty.  Only difference, the C803 is bundled with a basic IR remote which has clackety buttons, easy to get blocked, and lacks the voice control, headphone jack and remote finder features (compared to the enhanced Wi-Fi remote).

But turns out, you can still pair the C803 with the TCL enhanced remote (which Amazon sells separately for $60), or the new Roku remote from the 2017 Ultra (which Roku now sells separately for $30).

The C803 initially hides the UI menu that deals with Wi-Fi remotes, but it'll show up after the first boot-up pairing, or if you manually toggle it:

Home:5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "Enable full UI support for remote"

Here's my previous post:

"beq" wrote:

BTW the new $30 remote [ex. RC135] from the 2017 Ultra can serve as a cheaper replacement for a lost/broken TCL Roku TV enhanced remote [ex. RC126 / BRC64]...

The TV controls, voice commands, headphone jack and remote finder all work.  It just sacrifices the TCL remote's mute button for A/B gaming buttons (and a few other differences such as button shapes/placement, matte vs glossy front, flat vs rounded back, etc)...

What's interesting is that once paired, these new remotes' power and volume buttons work on the Roku TV set via Wi-Fi instead of IR, just like the original TCL enhanced remote.  IR not even an option in this case.

Sorry for the newb question, but per your instructions on manually toggling the hidden ui menu: what button does the 5 refer to?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

That should be press the Home button 5 times. There is no 5 button.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Sorry about that, I meant press the Home button 5 times in a row.

Oh renojim beat me to it Smiley Happy

"jeffrok" wrote:
Does anyone know of any enhanced remote that will pair with the TCL 40" (40S30)?

Jeff is this an older TV, or do you mean the 40S305 / 40S303 TCL 2017 model?  If the latter, pope411 confirmed that series works with the new "Enhanced Voice Remote" as well as his original Roku 3 gaming remote.  Any of the enhanced ones Roku is selling really, depending on features...
0 Kudos