Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pope411
Level 8

Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

I have been a Roku user for 5 years, first with the HD and then with the 3, but am now ready to upgrade an old 37" TV to a 55" TV and wanted a Roku TV instead of using my Roku 3 on a new TV.  The thing is, the headphone on the remote is a must have, the app does not work as nice for our situation.  As near I as can tell, you need to pay a $100-$200 premium to get a Roku TV with an enhanced remote with the headphone jack, at least from the TCL's I'm looking at.  Am I understanding this wrong?  Info below:

TCL 55S403 & 55S405  $399 everywhere but none have an enhanced remote.

TCL 55C803  $449 @ Costco, standard remote
TCL 55C807 $699 @ Amazon, enhanced remote

55P605 $599 @ Best Buy, standard remote
55P607 $649 @ Amazon, enhanced remote

At this point I'm just going to buy a 55" TV  for $300 on black Friday and throw a $100 Roku Ultra on there, I'd probably have a better TV for cheaper, and a better upgrade path.

TCL Roku TV 55"
Retired: Roku 3 and Roku HD (3100R)
Labels (1)
35 Replies
mike1597
Level 7

Re: Roku TV: Cheapest entrypoint with enhanced remote with headphones?

"pope411" wrote:
At this point I'm just going to buy a 55" TV  for $300 on black Friday and throw a $100 Roku Ultra on there, I'd probably have a better TV for cheaper, and a better upgrade path.

Last I checked Amazon has 2016 Roku Premiere+ for $50, it also has remote headphone jack.  The 2017 Ultra does have a power button on the remote so it depends if a power button is worth $50 more.  The 2016 Premiere+ will turn TV on and control volume through HDMI-CEC.  The 2017 Ultra will turn TV on & off, and control volume using IR.
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Thanks Mike, that is helpful information.  Hadn't even considered going with the 2016 models, I was only looking at the new models on the Roku site.  

Somewhat related, I tried to test out private listening on my phone with the Roku app, but since I have a Roku 3 that already has a headphone jack, it does not enable the headphone button on the app, so I can't test out if I would like this way to do private listening.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Just following up, I just ended up buying the TCL 55S403 at Costco and using my phone with headphones.  Not as big of an issue as I thought it would be, although not nearly as nice as the dedicated headphone jack on the remote.  TV is incredible, and nice to just have to plug power into TV and go.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I got that Costco 55C803 for a family member.  As you know it's the same TV as the C807, but the Costco variant was on sale for $250 cheaper while at the same time providing free 4yr extended warranty.  Only difference, the C803 is bundled with a RC280 TCL basic IR remote which has clackety buttons, easy to get blocked, and lacks the voice control, headphone jack and remote finder features (compared to the enhanced Wi-Fi remote).

But you can still pair the C803 with the TCL enhanced TV remote (Amazon $60) -- or the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote ($30) from 2017 Ultra if you don't need the mute button.

The C803 initially hides the UI menu that deals with Wi-Fi remotes, but it'll show up after the first boot-up pairing, or if you manually toggle it:

Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "Enable full UI support for remote"

"beq" wrote:

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes

BTW the $30 RC135 "Enhanced Voice Remote" (from 2017 Ultra) can serve as a cheaper replacement for a RC126 (aka BRC64) TCL Roku TV enhanced remote.

The TV controls, voice, headphone and remote finder all work.  It just sacrifices the TCL remote's mute button for A/B gaming buttons (and a few other differences such as button shapes/placement, matte vs glossy front, flat vs rounded back, etc).

Or get the $20 RC127 "Streaming Stick Voice Remote" (from 2017 Stick) if you just need the TV buttons and voice commands.  Ditto for the RC150 remote from the Stick+.

What's interesting is that once paired, these new remotes' power and volume buttons work on the Roku TV set via Wi-Fi instead of IR, just like the original TCL enhanced remote.  IR not even an option in this case.
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Thank you for your research. Which of those remotes on the Roku site did you get the, top one or the 2nd one down?

Do you think my old Roku 3 remote will work on this TCL TV?  I guess I can give it a shot before ordering one of these.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I was referring to the top one on the Roku site (Roku Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons plus Gaming Buttons), mainly for the new addition of the TV power button.

Though the 2nd one down (Roku Enhanced Gaming Remote with Voice Search) should also have functional volume control, headphone jack, etc -- when used with the Roku TV.

Sorry I don't have the S403/S405 model and don't have the C803 around anymore, but I was able to pair an old Roku 3 remote to a C807 TCL TV.  Again, the old remote's side volume buttons worked just fine to control the TCL TV speakers (via Wi-Fi), when the headphone jack is not being used.  The jack worked fine, too.

So I'm hoping you'll have the same luck pairing your old remote...

EDIT:  Seems Roku has simplified their remote accessories page to just 4 models currently -- the 2017 "Streaming Stick Voice Remote" and the 2017 Ultra "Enhanced Voice Remote", plus the old-style Roku 3 enhanced remote and a basic IR remote.
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Thank you for your help. Was just able to pair my old Roku 3 remote to the 55S403 using your instructions and it works great. Way nicer than using phone for private listening and I love being able to use remote without pointing at TV.

I also ordered the remote you pointed out so we have the power button, that way we are back to one remote.

Thanks for the help.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
pope411
Level 8

Just wanted to follow up on this, I got the remote I ordered direct from Roku and it did pair with the TCL TV.  Just in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, there are a couple differences between this and the original.

- It does have the headphone jack, which is what I wanted, and it works
- It does have a microphone button for voice search, but I have yet to get it to work, the TV responds but then just spins and never recognizes what I say.
- There is no mute button on this remote.  Not a deal killer, but if you use mute a lot like I do, kinda a bummer.
- Although it does have an ON/OFF button, if the TV has been off for awhile, it will not turn the TV on.  It will turn it off off, or on if you recently turned it off.  Sometime I am going to look into.

For now, I keep both remotes around, the original for most use cause it turns is on and has the mute button, and the Enhanced for night when I want to listen on the headphones w/o needing to use a smartphone.
TCL Roku TV 55"
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Does anyone know of any enhanced remote that will pair with the TCL 40" (40S30)?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos