Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Roku Streaming Stick Remote No Longer Recognized After Firmware Update

Hi,

My remote to my Roku Streaming Stick is not working after updating the device's firmware today to version 8.0.0 build 4184. My information for the device is as follows:

Model: 3600X
Serial: 5S6713218436

I am going to try and see if I can get some new batteries for the remote later tonight, but for now I am using the Roku app on my iPad to control the device. Ironically, I changed batteries in the remote yesterday and it was working with 66% battery percentage on the device before I updated the firmware about two hours ago. After the device updated I could not get a signal on the remote and have tried rebooting the device a few times to see if it would recognize the remote, but it says no Roku enhanced remote paired.

I have two other Roku remotes that are currently not in use, but I couldn't get them to pair either. This has me thinking either that I have a bad pair of batteries or that this is an issue with the firmware because like I said, the remote was working fine before the firmware update and had no issue when I switched batteries yesterday. The good thing is at least I can control the device with my iPad for the time being, but I figured I'd report the issue to the developers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Remote No Longer Recognized After Firmware Update

What are the other Roku models that you have?

I poked a coupe of people in CS/Social to see if we've seen this with the recent update, but yours is the first report (lucky you :mrgreen: )

If the other Roku models are 3600s, did they update and exhibit the same issue?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

PM me your name, mailing address, and contact phone and email as soon as possible.

Thanks.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
What are the other Roku models that you have?

I poked a coupe of people in CS/Social to see if we've seen this with the recent update, but yours is the first report (lucky you :mrgreen: )

If the other Roku models are 3600s, did they update and exhibit the same issue?

Hi Shawn,

I have a premiere+ and an Ultra. Neither of which experienced this problem. I am going to verify if it is a battery issue with the remote later tonight, I'm glad that I can use the app in the meantime. The only issue is neither the remotes I have for the other devices are compatible with the stick device. I assume this is because both are voice remotes and the model of streaming stick that I have predates the model with voice intergration added.
0 Kudos
amolestina
Level 7

Hello ,
Just got my Roku streaming stick today and set it up for the first time. The control was working until the firmware update was done. After that it doesn’t work anymore. I have tried the things mentioned in this post. Unplug the stick, remove batteries and try to pair again and nothing works.
Every time I take out the batteries and put them back in the Updating firmware message starts showing up and after a few minutes goes away and the control still not working. Please advice.
0 Kudos
nsxatl
Level 7

I’ve run into the same situation where when I add fresh batteries to the remote restart the Roku and add the batteries at the home screen it keeps saying “Updating firmware on your remote” and then the remote stops working. After that point, trying to reseat the batteries doesn’t do anything and when holding the reset button on the remote doesn’t work. After trying a bunch of times sometime the updating firmware message doesn’t come up and I’m able to pair the remote with the reset button. Then after completing the pairing the remote stops working again.

Is their a way that I can downgrade the firmware on the Roku stick to see if that is causing the issue?

My specifics:
Model: 3800X
Software version: 9.1.0 4919-55
0 Kudos