Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gsgris
Reel Rookie

Roku Streaming Stick Remote Keeps Un-Pairing from Device

Roku remote from streaming stick stops working every few minutes. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps. Reboot, batteries, pairing multiple times. Nothing seems to work.  

0 Kudos
Phoenix74
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Remote Keeps Un-Pairing from Device

You might need to disconnect the streaming stick from your television—and possibly unplug the TV for a minute and then reconnect the streaming stick—before attempting to pair the remote.  If you try to start the pairing process without resetting the streaming stick, it probably won't stay paired.  I don't know why that is, but it seems to make a difference.

Be sure that once you've tried to pair the remote, the little light inside the battery compartment stops flashing.  If it keeps flashing, then the remote is trying to pair with the streaming stick over and over again—I think that this is what drains the batteries.  If it's successfully paired, the flashing will stop.  And remember to wait a few seconds before trying to use the remote after you reach your home screen—if you try to use the buttons before it's ready, it'll seem like the remote isn't working, even though it might work normally after a few more seconds.

0 Kudos
Joecadcon

I'm sure most all of us have don't the trouble shooting steps. The remote stays linked to tv power and sound bar volume yet loses pairing every day or two with streaming stick. It seems to be a pretty popular issue with all these posts. What is Roku doing about the flaw?

Tdand22

For the past few months I’ve had to pair the remote regularly. The power and volume functions to the actual TV work when it unpairs, but the remote won’t work for the Roku. The past couple weeks, I’ve had to pair it daily, and now I am up to pairing it every time I turn the TV on. It seems like there should be a fix for this by now. 

0 Kudos
Gsgris
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem, very frustrating.  I have not seen a fix for this issue yet

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Tdand22 @Gsgris

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote to see if that helps? In addition, how are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall adapter?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TonyRhodes

Im having the same problem. My remote keeps unpairing and i have to take the batteries out just for a sec and it works fine for about 5 min. I have the roku express plus. Its worked fine for over a year and just started this about a month ago. Yeah i keep reading not to worry i can download the roku app which i did when i first bought my roku and its a great app never a problem or you can buy a replacement super dooper remote. Why would or should i have to do either? I already paid for a remote when i bought a new roku device. And if i buy the super dooper remote am i just taking a chance hoping it dont have 20 pages of troubleshooting articles? I mean when you read these articles that are the same problems with everybodys remotes you think you could at least get an answer like we apologize we've identified the problem and it has been fixed take your old remote and receipt to where it was purchased and get a new one half off or even a dollar off. Just don't come back and say well you can download the remote app or buy a new remote like its no big deal get over it. Why would i buy a new remote when i already know roku has many problems with their remotes? Oh well just thought I'd throw that out there as a paying customer that roku's seemed to forgotten about since they've gotten so big. Thank you Tony Rhodes

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TonyRhodes

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jaydee77ca
Reel Rookie

Hi, I just started having this issue with my Roku Streaming Stick 4k (Model 3820CA). A few times a day the remote stops working. I remove the remote batteries then put them back in and the remote reconnects and works. The batteries are full and the streaming stick is powered from the wall outlet. I've had the stick for a year with no issues. This started happening when I placed a wifi router in the living room near the TV in order to get better wifi coverage in the front of the house. The router is an Asus RT-AX1800S. This is really annoying so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @jaydee77ca

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

For starters, we recommend re-pairing your remote to your stick. To do this, please follow the steps below: 

1. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then re-connect the power cable.
  2. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  3. Restart your remote. If your remote uses standard batteries, restart your remote by removing and reinserting the batteries.
  4. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote or replace the batteries.
  5. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

Once the Roku device is connected to the remote, the pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

Moreover, when using a Roku Streaming Stick that can be connected directly to an HDMI® port on your TV, wireless interference from the HDMI connector may impact the performance of your remote. We suggest moving it away from the HDMI connector on your TV by installing a free extension cable.

For more information, check out this link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos