Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSmith15
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick Chord Not Working

I have a roku Streaming Stick and plug the usb into any of the ports in the back of my tv. It appears the chord has either become sensitive or fragile now because I get a frequent message that the chord cannot be used in the USB port due to Low Power. I have to adjust the chord a certain way and not touch it or it will cut the device off. This is a brand new roku as of 11/2019.
It appears I’d need a new chord, but there is no customer service email, phone or chat to even talk to someone to get a replacement. This isn’t even 6 months old and the chord isn’t working. It stays in 1 tv all day. Never touch it. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Cord Not Working

There's nothing wrong with your power cord. Many TVs don't offer sufficient power through the USB connection for Roku Stick players. When you see that message, you MUST use the power cube that came with the Roku. Connect the USB cord to the power cube, and don't use the TV connection. You can damage electrical devices with inadequate power.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Cord Not Working

The USB standard requires a nominal voltage of 5 volts.  Most tv sets adhere to the initial version of the standard which specifies a current of 0.5 amps.  This is not enough current to reliably drive a Roku under all situations . We're seeing more and more reports of Rokus, previously successfully powered via tv USB ports, that start complaining about low power. As content resolution and frame rates have increased for a lot of streaming content, this puts higher demands on the Roku and it has to draw more current to deal with it.  When this happens the tv may no longer be able to supply the power needed.

That's why it is recommended that the Roku should be powered via the 1 amp power adaptor that came with it,  plugged into house power.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos