Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maddie

Roku Streaming Stick 3600R remote stopped working, wifi reset so can't connect with the phone app

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Streaming Stick 3600R and the remote stopped working a few years ago. We opted to use the Roku app remote which has worked fine until our wifi had to be reset, and the Roku was no longer connected to the internet so we couldn't use the app remote anymore. However, because the initial remote had stopped working, we were unable to reconnect the Roku to the new wifi. I've read through several articles and have tried resetting/re-pairing the remote, changing the batteries, and even trying to use the remotes from our other devices (TCL 40S305 40-Inch Roku Smart TV 2017 Model and Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player 2019) which I believe are IR remotes unlike the 3600R's which is an enhanced remote (of some sort since it has the pairing button by the batteries). I feel like we've exhausted all options, and it has been super frustrating to not be able to use our device anymore. The remote's life seems extremely short as it only lasted about 2 years before it mysteriously stopped working.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3600R remote stopped working, wifi reset so can't connect with the phone ap

Jump to solution

@maddie

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim mentioned, you will need a replacement remote for your Streaming Stick 3600 in order to reconnect to your wireless network. You can purchase a replacement Voice Remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick. Please be aware that this remote is currently on back order at the moment.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3600R remote stopped working, wifi reset so can't connect with the phone ap

Jump to solution

As you've discovered, those other remotes won't work.  Can you set up your new Wi-Fi to match your old Wi-Fi (SSID and password)?  If you can, it may connect automatically.  If you can't, you'll need a new remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@maddie

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim mentioned, you will need a replacement remote for your Streaming Stick 3600 in order to reconnect to your wireless network. You can purchase a replacement Voice Remote from our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick. Please be aware that this remote is currently on back order at the moment.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jhadler
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem. Will the remote be able to connect if the Roku stick won't connect to the Wifi? I'm having a similar problem but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the remote, and I've only had this stick since September.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jhadler 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please clarify what you are asking? When you setup the Roku Streaming Stick (including connecting to your wireless network), the first thing your device will ask to do is to connect/pair to the remote.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jhadler
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku Streaming Stick+ worked great for three months. No issues.

I brought it with me on a trip, and when I set it up, it would not respond to the remote, and could not enter the info for the WiFi at the new location. I tried re-pairing repeatedly, with no luck. I then created a WiFi hotspot with the SSID & password info of my home network, hoping that the stick would connect to that, which would enable me to either use the remote, or a Roku app on a second phone. No luck there either. So, as things stand now, my Roku Streaming Stick+ won't pair to my remote and won't connect to any WiFi (and since I can't use the remote or phone app, I can't manually setup a WiFi connection).

I've gone through the message boards here and elsewhere, and nothing I've found has worked. 

Thanks for your help.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jhadler 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cousinabe

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  Fresh batteries, reset, tried cleaning contacts, etc.  Nothing works, no lights. The remotes are junk... no wonder why they are on back order.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@cousinabe

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to the PM that you sent me and I will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ramiro12345
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny

Same problem here.

I'm willing to buy a new remote if it is avalable and that is a posibble solution.

Thanks

0 Kudos