Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Roku Streaming Plus remote: cannot set up, it gets stuck on selecting the language English)

I am helping a friend set up her Roku Streaming Plus stick ( I have set up several in my own house without any issues).  I cannot get past the initial set up of the remote when it comes to selecting "Language".  The screen freezes and I cannot select English.   I have taken the batteries out of the remote.  I have followed the guidelines under troubleshooting the remote initialization.  Nothing works. 

Does anyone have a suggestion?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Level 20

Re: Roku Streaming Plus remote: cannot set up, it gets stuck on selecting the language English)

You might as well try a factory reset, with stick powered, press and hold the reset button on the stick itself for over 30 seconds no matter what is displayed on screen. You'll have to re-pair the remote, do so using brand new batteries. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Roku Streaming Plus remote: cannot set up, it gets stuck on selecting the language English)

I will give it a try.  Thank you

0 Kudos
Level 7

I have similar issues with used Streaming Stick Plus. Going to try suggested factory reset

0 Kudos
Level 7

New Streaming Stick + After 4 hours of trying everything suggested no progress. I’ve tried the factory reset too but still can’t get paired or if I do then the remote still won’t move it past the language question...time to send it back unless someone can help?

my version 1 Roku stick worked with any difficulty at all 😱

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@OldCollo 

Thanks for the post.

Have you made sure that you are using new batteries when trying to pair the remote with your device after performing a factory reset?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 8

I have not tried to do a factory reset yet.  I bought this roku stick for my friend and I am the one installing it on her TV.  Unfortunately, I have not bee back to her house.  I plan to go back soon and I will put in new batteries and try to do the factory reset.  If it doesn't work, I will PM you with all the information.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I finally got the ROKU to work!  Thank you everyone.  I put in NEW Batteries and it immediately went past the screen where you select English (that is where I was stuck previously).  Next issue was not getting it to recognize the Samsung TV which is only a few years old.  Then I read a suggestion on trying the ROKU stick in a different port and it worked.  Can't thank everyone enough!

0 Kudos
Level 8

the batteries did the trick  Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Having a problem pairing a Voice Remote with what I believe is a 3810x.  Here is the situation:

I bought a new 3810X Streaming Stick+ (SN = [Not shown]).  I was able to pair the remote, connect to my WiFi and link to my Roku account ([Not shown]).

I then purchased what was described as a 3800X Streaming Stick (SN = [not shown], taken from the outside of the device, as it has been factory reset and at the setup).  Using the same cables from the new 3810X, i thought I could pair this device to the existing Voice Remote and configure to my network, so that I could use the iPhone App.  I took the batteries out of the remote, powered up the "old" Streaming Stick, waited for the "Pair the Remote" screen, and inserted the batteries back in the remote.  The screen displayed that is was pairing for 3 seconds, but then I was unable to continue the setup as the unit did not respond.

From the SN, is this device really a 3800?  Is there a different remote to purchase for this device?  I've ruled out the batteries as it works with the device that the remote came with.

Any assistance is appreciated.

0 Kudos