Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Stick losing connection with remote daily, requiring hard reboot

Roku Stick 3600RW

Software Version 8.1.0 - build 4145-24

Having an issue with one of my two Roku Streaming Sticks.

At some point last week it "froze" up while streaming Netflix, the system seemed to lock up completely and the remote wouldn't function at all.

I wasn't home to be able to unplug it and hard reboot it for about five days (it's in an awkward spot behind the TV that only I can get to), so it sat frozen, plugged in for about a week.

When I did get home I unplugged it, plugged it back in and everything seemed fine and working normally.

The next day I noticed that the remote wasn't working again, no green light on "wake up", so I unplugged and re-plugged everything again, which got the system working again.

I thought that maybe the remote pairing had somehow gotten glitched, so I attempted to re-pair using the button inside the battery compartment. That cause a big problem for a few minutes. The green light would flash but it wouldn't re-pair (I suppose the Roku wasn't receiving the signal, or it was still "paired" with it and didn't think it needed to re-pair at all).

I finally got it re-paired after several un-plug power cycles, but the problem with the remote stopping working after the Roku sat idle for a few hours kept coming back.

So, I attempted to factory reset the Roku with the reset button. Re-downloaded all of the channels and everything seemed fine, but again, today, same issue.

After sitting idle for a few hours, my remote will no longer connect with the Roku stick.

I have a second stick which I've had for a longer time (with the more advanced voice/volume/power remote) and this has never been an issue with that one at all.

I assume that this Roku stick somehow cooked itself or burnt out its wireless remote receiver (where it works from a hard power down/up but will not come back on from a low power/sleep mode) when it sat "frozen" for a week.

I initially purchased this unit "certified refurbished" from Amazon, and have had it since May, so maybe that was an issue with it to begin with that wasn't properly fixed.

I've tried:

• Power cycling (unplug and replug).

• Replace batteries on remote

• Re-pair remote (successfully)

• Factory reset Roku

Nothing has resolved this issue. When the Roku sits idle for about an hour (low power mode?) it won't wake up via the paired remote.

I've already purchased a replacement Roku which is on its way (I can't live without one in the living room at this point), but I'm curious if any of the experts here have encountered this issue before. Searching for similar issues online brings up a lot of basic remote pairing fixes, but this is something with more advanced symptoms than just rebooting or re-pairing.

Thanks in advance!

Roku Stick 3600RW
Current software 8.1.0 build 4145-24
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Roku Stick losing connection with remote daily, requiring hard reboot

So ... I've been trying to do a bit of a deep dive on this problem, and it LOOKS like the symptoms of: remote disconnecting after a period of down-time is related to the Wi-Fi network causing "interference" and/or switching channels?

Experts? Techs? Does that sound probable?

The Roku has operated in the same Wi-Fi network since May of this year, with near daily use, and has never, not once had a problem with the remote disconnecting, but I don't want to write anything off.

Any suggestions as to how I should set my router up to accommodate the best connectivity between the Roku and the remote? Any secret Roku menu screen I should access and anything I should turn on or off to avoid my Wi-Fi network potentially breaking the connection between the remote and the Roku Stick?

Again, any help would be appreciated, I'm anticipating that the new Roku Stick I ordered is going to wind up doing the same exact thing as the old one, because ... well, that's the kind of luck I have with these things.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

Is the roku using 2.4 or 5 ghz wifi? If using 5ghz wifi I can see an issue. My roku ultra likes to put it's wifi direct remote on the exact same 5ghz channel as my wifi is. Because of this using the 2.4ghz is always preferable.

I can guess here, you are using 5ghz band for wifi on your roku?

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 6&p=601675
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 7&p=599584
0 Kudos

I am connected to the 5 GHz portion of my router.

I can try connecting to the 2.4 GHz signal and see if that clears it up.

I'll report back if I'm able to get everything connected and stable for any extended period of time (or not).
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos

So, yes, as I found out by researching this a bit yesterday, it does appear that my point anywhere remote was causing or falling victim to interference or getting assigned to a WiFi channel on my network where it failed to function.

This may have happened when my router experienced a minor interruption. I BELIEVE I've solved it by doing the following things (not sure what contributed to the fix).

• Rebooted my modem/router

• Re connected my Roku to the 2.4GHz band of my router instead of the 5GHz band (no real noticable drop in video download/streaming speed/quality)

• Re-Updated the remote firmware via the secret remote menu

• Re-Updated the Roku Stick firmware via the secret menu

It went approximately 24 hours without the remote dropping connection, which was not the case when I wrote this. The remote would consistently drop connection and become useless after about 2-3 hours of idle time.

Hopefully people stumble across this if they're having a similar problem with the remote dropping out and not syncing/waking the Roku.

Reboot the router and connect the Roku to the 2.4Ghz channel!

So, I guess I'll just hang onto this new Roku stick that I had ordered thinking that this one was cooked and keep it as an emergency backup.

I'll follow up if I have any further issues with this.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

This is a known problem with some wireless routers.  Check to see if this option is available in your Roku secret menus:

http://www.netconsonance.com/2016/06/ho ... king-5ghz/
0 Kudos

In my research I saw that the “interference” options only work if you’re using a Roku that is ethernet wired, which the stick is not. Otherwise the option is there but changing the interference level doesn’t really change the behavior of the remote’s WiFi channel.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"FlyingBurrito76" wrote:
In my research I saw that the “interference” options only work if you’re using a Roku that is ethernet wired, which the stick is not. Otherwise the option is there but changing the interference level doesn’t really change the behavior of the remote’s WiFi channel.

The remote follows the wifi channel because the Roku only has 1 radio, so it's impossible for it to listen to 2 channels at the same time.  Most wireless this isn't a problem, for some it seems to be.
0 Kudos

Yeah, and it was fine with that standard overlapping transmission on my setup for close to six months, but, I THINK, a hiccup/drop out on the network may have caused some kind of hitch that simple reboots and re-pairings couldn't resolve on its own.

I think rebooting the router (and potentially switching over the 2.4 Ghz band) solved most of the problem. It seems to be fine now where for the better part of a week the remote would totally lose sync and become unresponsive once every few hours.

Whatever fixed it, I'm glad that I didn't throw the Roku in the trash. I'll keep using it and keep the new one as a backup, or for use on a third set. Roku really is the best streaming device on the market IMO.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos

UGH.

Well. Unfortunately this morning the remote and stick failed to pair again.

After a week or so of having to unplug and re-plug everything to get it to work, I can't be dealing with that on a regular basis.

So, I decided to try hooking up the brand new stick (with the newer model enhanced voice remote) and see if that proves to have similar issues long-term or at all.

Will report back if it does, or after a long period of uninterrupted functionality.

That previous (refurbished) stick worked for close to six months with no connection issues between remote and unit and the stick in my bedroom (same brand new model as the replacement) has no issues at all, so I’m hoping that it was just some kind of actual hardware failure in the remote or stick requiring replacement. The unit was a refurb, so who really knows the reliability of it vs a brand new one.

Fingers crossed that this solves the problem.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos