Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Smart TV, Roku remote stopped working for my soundbar volume randomly

Hi, I've had this roku smart tv and sound bar for almost 2 years now and when I first set everything up I was able to use my roku remote to turn my volume up and down no problem on my sound bar. It is only connected through optical cable not HDMI. Today it randomly stopped working for my sound bar. I have tried to go to settings > system > remotes and devices > I dont see anywhere to setup device for tv. Only options I see are about. Very odd after 2 years and it just stopped working. I have tried removing the roku remote since I have 2 remotes connected to the tv and now it wont allow me to readd my remote that came with my tv since there is no pairing button.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Im not sure if they removed the functionality to use the remote to control my soundbar. its just weird.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Smart TV, Roku remote stopped working for my soundbar volume randomly

@Thrasher8712 wrote:

...it wont allow me to readd my remote that came with my tv since there is no pairing button....

That's because you don't pair IR remotes. You pair Voice Remotes, but not IR remotes. You never paired an IR remote.

You may have two issues going on. Check the end of your Roku TV remote by looking at it through your smartphone camera. Press a button. See a light? Yes? Then it's working. No? Then it's not.

If the IR remote isn't controlling your Roku (forget about sound bar when troubleshooting the IR remote) then that's one issue. The sound bar is another issue. Pick the one you want to fix first. I'd suggest the IR remote, but it's your system.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos