Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

Roku, STILL no keyboard/remote combo? Is this a patent encumbrance problem?

For home viewing, how is it that year after year we keep getting more and more stuff that requires text entry, and still only a select view companies offer something similar to this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ufY0E ... MEafxSXf7C

Sure, we can do voice searches via the right Roku remove, and sure, the app obviously can use the smartphone's keyboard.  But there ought to be an on-the-couch solution, or something on the back of the remote.

The only thing that I've found that is close is a Harmony remote keyboard that is huge.  Many of the things online that pop up when you search for roku keyboard will show such flip-over remotes, but they just don't support roku.

Labels (1)
25 REPLIES 25
Streams
Visitor

Re: Roku, STILL no keyboard/remote combo? Is this a patent encumbrance problem?

It took a LONG time to get a remote that can control the TV power and volume, and that is something that the majority of Roku owners can use.  

A keyboard is not something that I ever need when using the Roku, other than the initial setup when entering the wireless network info.  

I just don't see a remote like you want becoming available.
MrDifficult
Visitor

Like you said, phone/tablet keyboard is available.  Why on earth would we need another piece of hardware taking up space, or a convoluted remote with 40 plus buttons waiting to crap out?
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

"MrDifficult" wrote:
Like you said, phone/tablet keyboard is available.  Why on earth would we need another piece of hardware taking up space, or a convoluted remote with 40 plus buttons waiting to crap out?

I'm mostly talking about the remotes that have the micro-qwerty on the back, like I showed in the picture.  As for why, it's for the same reason that you have the original remote floating around: convenience.  Using your logic, once you have the app, why would you need another piece of hardware taking up space, etc., etc.
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

"Streams" wrote:
It took a LONG time to get a remote that can control the TV power and volume, and that is something that the majority of Roku owners can use.  

A keyboard is not something that I ever need when using the Roku, other than the initial setup when entering the wireless network info.

It would make YouTube a lot easier to use.  That's the biggest complaint in my house.  YouTube is almost entirely driven by what you search for.
Rich_T
Roku Guru

although the app keyboard only works on certain things and not others, and is very inconsistent
twiceover
Roku Guru

"tgm1024" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

It would make YouTube a lot easier to use.  That's the biggest complaint in my house.  YouTube is almost entirely driven by what you search for.

Ever since the Youtube app got so bloated, I started using my phone and just casting it to the roku.  So much easier to use.
To each their own.  When I do need a keyboard (entering credentials) I just use my phone since it isn't very often.
0 Kudos
Streams
Visitor

I was going to post what twiceover posted.  I know it's not what you want, but using the YouTube app on your phone or (as I do) your tablet is SO much easier than using the Roku app.  Just link it to your Roku and whatever you choose on the phone/iPad will show on the TV.  
tgm1024
Binge Watcher

"Streams" wrote:
I was going to post what twiceover posted.  I know it's not what you want, but using the YouTube app on your phone or (as I do) your tablet is SO much easier than using the Roku app.  Just link it to your Roku and whatever you choose on the phone/iPad will show on the TV.  

We'll probably start doing more of the casting thing.

Part of the problem though is that my kids are not allowed to have smart phones.  So this means that they have to run to get a tablet----and I disallow those being left all over the place.  Can't tell you how many times they've been sat on and knocked off the arm of the couch. (!)  I'd rather have something pseudo-indestructible right on the back of the same thing I'm using to click around.
optikhog
Roku Guru

"tgm1024" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

We'll probably start doing more of the casting thing.

Part of the problem though is that my kids are not allowed to have smart phones.  So this means that they have to run to get a tablet----and I disallow those being left all over the place.  Can't tell you how many times they've been sat on and knocked off the arm of the couch. (!)  I'd rather have something pseudo-indestructible right on the back of the same thing I'm using to click around.

Do what we did - grab a $35 Amazon Fire tablet and put an otterbox-style case on it.  The thing is virtually indestructible now.